Question

Avoiding SDE spatial index creation

Badge

Is it possible to write annotation features to an ArcGIS SDE annotation feature class without a spatial index being created in FME?

I am writing annotation features to ArcGIS SDE on SQL Server using the GEODATABASE_SDE writer. I delete the spatial index on the target annotation feature class before running FME. I do not want a spatial index created on the feature class, but FME appears to always be creating one. Referencing this article I have tried the below FME and SDE settings, but the result is always the same.

Environment:

• FME 2018.0.1.0 (20180518 - Build 18310 - WIN32)
  • ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1
  • ArcSDE 10.2.1
  • SQL Server 2014

Feature Type Grid 1 Value

SDE LOAD_ONLY Mode

Spatial Index Created

unset/blankYes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

unset/blank

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

3 replies

Badge +10

Looking at this thread, that is referenced from the page you mention, it seams as if it is not possible to not create a Spatial Index unless you're writing to Oracle.

Badge

Looking at this thread, that is referenced from the page you mention, it seams as if it is not possible to not create a Spatial Index unless you're writing to Oracle.

Maybe. Since I'm using the GEODATABASE_SDE writer in FME I wasn't sure if that referenced page applied, as it deals with the SDE C API.

Using the ArcGIS geoprocessing modules, though, I can run an Append from a file geodatabase to SDE and the spatial index isn't created. So it seems like this should be possible in ArcObjects, which I assume is what FME is using under the hood.

Badge +10
Maybe. Since I'm using the GEODATABASE_SDE writer in FME I wasn't sure if that referenced page applied, as it deals with the SDE C API.

Using the ArcGIS geoprocessing modules, though, I can run an Append from a file geodatabase to SDE and the spatial index isn't created. So it seems like this should be possible in ArcObjects, which I assume is what FME is using under the hood.

The only thing I can find about the Grid 1 Value, is that it only needs to be set when creating new feature classes, since in all other situations the grid already is present. Bottom of this page, it is mentioned a second time on this page. The first is about Feature Type parameters and the second about Writer parameters.

Sorry I can't help you any further. I no one responses I would contact your reseller to file a question there.