Question

Splitting line features at intersections with a separate line feature class

• 3 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I would like to split the lines in my feature class only where it intersects with a separate linear feature class.

I have my base linear feature class, and a second linear feature class that I have created to demarcate exactly where the base lines should be split. Is there a transformer that can easily do this?

2 replies

Badge +8

Try to use the LineOnLineOverlayer. After, with a tester, you can filter the Feature Class you want to keep and your lines will be split.

Badge +22

Is your base linear feature class otherwise topologically correct? Or are there intersecting lines within it that should not be split (ex. overpass on road)? If the former then either a LineOnLineOverlayer as @philippeb suggests or an Intersector can be used.

If you need to keep your original lines intact, except at the demarcated places, then you need a way to isolate your segments. I suggest assigning a unique ID to your base feature class and then using a spatialRelator with the split class as the requestor and the base class as the supplier with the predicate as intersects. Follow this by a listExploder (if necessary) and then send everything to the Intersector with the Group By set to the unique ID.