Question

DGN Styler - RGB not working?

• 22 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I'm using the DGN styler to plot my data using RGB colours that I've pulled out of an mxd, I've set this to the FME colours and also tried RGB colours (multiplied the parts of the fme colour x 255) but neither seem to work. The data inspector does show the colours correctly.

As a workaround I assigned my different coloured polygons to different CAD levels then set them the elements colour to 'by level' and importing a csv of by level colours. The problem is I now need to set all my elements on a single level so can only have a single colour.

I've had success by assigning a colour index in the past but need to assign RGB in this instance.

Any help would be much appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Just for clarification: if you write to DGN and then view that in the Data Inspector, are the colors ok then? There are cases where redirecting to the Data Inspector may yield different results than inspecting the output file and this is such a case, that's because there may be a seed file that's affecting this.

Just for clarification: if you write to DGN and then view that in the Data Inspector, are the colors ok then? There are cases where redirecting to the Data Inspector may yield different results than inspecting the output file and this is such a case, that's because there may be a seed file that's affecting this.

Hi, just tried writing to DGN and then viewing the writer in inspector (after ran) the colours look incorrect. The inspector that looks correct is fed from the dgn styler. I'll have a play around with the seed file to see if that will fix it, are any of the fme seed files better for RGB export?

Badge

Hi @david_farmer

at the moment, DGN Writer can only use colors from seed-file color table. If you assign an RGB color to a feature, the Writer will find the closest match in the seed-file color table and use it for the feature.

True color (RGB color rather then color by index/from color table) support is a relatively new MicroStation functionality. We have a PR filed in our system with request to add DGN true color support for read and write. This PR is currently in progress which means that we might see this new functionality in FME 2018 beta quite soon.

Hi @david_farmer

at the moment, DGN Writer can only use colors from seed-file color table. If you assign an RGB color to a feature, the Writer will find the closest match in the seed-file color table and use it for the feature.

True color (RGB color rather then color by index/from color table) support is a relatively new MicroStation functionality. We have a PR filed in our system with request to add DGN true color support for read and write. This PR is currently in progress which means that we might see this new functionality in FME 2018 beta quite soon.

@LenaAtSafe Ahh righto, thanks for letting me know. Do you know if there is another work-around other than assigning colours to levels as I posted above? Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
@LenaAtSafe Ahh righto, thanks for letting me know. Do you know if there is another work-around other than assigning colours to levels as I posted above? Thanks

If you can create a custom seed file with those colours it shoud work, but that's of course not a very dynamic solution, if the MXD's styles are likely to change you're still out of luck.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Bumping up this old thread...

Was there any movement on the PR to support true color for reading/writing DGNs? @lenaatsafe​ 

Badge +6

Bumping up this old thread...

Was there any movement on the PR to support true color for reading/writing DGNs? @lenaatsafe​ 

Hi @dustin​ , Jovita's response in this thread should answer your question. The issue is currently being tracked and Jovita's suggestion should serve as a workaround until then. Thank you for bringing this up!