Question

FME Server - Unable to open log file

• 31 October 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

we have problem with FME Server - it is unable to open log file, so every job ends with immediate crash after 1 second. The error message is: Unable to open log file `/opt/fmeserver/resources/logs/engine/current/jobs/job_11.log'

The folder „jobs“ exists in this location and is empty. FME Server is able to write there - has sufficient rights. The folder „jobs“ was automatically created when the first job was run - time of creation is the same. So if FME Server created this folder, I suppose it has enough rights to write there.

The configuration is this:

FME Server 2019.1.3 Build 19642 connected to Active Directory with last security patch installed (*.jar file copied in dedicated folder and restart of the server)

OS - Linux 64-bit Debian 9.11

FME Server was upgraded from version 2018.1 on the same machine. Before upgrade it was working ok. After the upgrade every workspace crashes on this logfile error.

Where can be the problem? Is there any other solution than install FME Server on the clean machine?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

It could be related to low disk space, triggering aggressive cleanup tasks. Could you doublecheck that?

Badge +1

It could be related to low disk space, triggering aggressive cleanup tasks. Could you doublecheck that?

Hello, thank you for your response. Yes we checked that - I forgot to write it down here. There is enough space and also the critical cleanup is set up to check disk every 5 minutes and every translation crashes in first second. So I think it is not the reason.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I see you registered a case with our support team. That's good. I think this is the sort of error message we should look into immediately. I searched through our systems and I see no report of this error message before, so whatever the cause it looks like it is unique.

Does this happen on the workspaces installed with Server? For example the ones under the Samples repository. Or is it only on workspaces that you've published to the Server?

Badge +1

Hi Mark, it is happening both on our own workspaces and also on Samples installed with Fme Server.

Badge +1

Here are some screenshots from the web UI - workspace austinDownload:

Error in Result Data is the same:

Badge +8

Hey I had the same problem! It resolved (for a reason I can't explain) when I add the log parameter into my FME Desktop before publishing. Now everything is OK.

Badge +1

Hey I had the same problem! It resolved (for a reason I can't explain) when I add the log parameter into my FME Desktop before publishing. Now everything is OK.

Hello, I think that this works in FME Desktop. But I think it has no influence on how the workspace works on FME Server.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Here are some screenshots from the web UI - workspace austinDownload:

Error in Result Data is the same:

OK, I was wondering if there was something in the workspaces causing a log location override, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think we'll have to wait for the support experts to get back to you. They'll probably know more about it than I. But it's hard to see beyond a permissions issue.

Badge +1

The problem was in priviliges. The owner of the "jobs" folder was "root" instead of "fmeserver". After changing this the server works fine now. But we do not know what caused this confusion in priviliges. Probably the upgrade.

Thanks to the Safe support team!