Question

Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG Reader: Why can fme_feature_type be different from autocad_layer?

• 27 November 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

I'm reading a DWG file with the above reader and I'm finding that some features have different values for fme_feature_type and autocad_layer. Example:

fme_feature_type = RR ALIGN

autocad_layer = 0

From reading the reader description here I assumed that fme_feature_type is created from the AutoCAD layer name which is held in autocad_layer:

"In AutoCAD, the layers are used to store collections of logically related entities, attributes, or symbology. In FME, the AutoCAD layer and the type of the feature are treated synonymously, since there is a one-to-one correspondence between FME feature type and AutoCAD layer."

Is there a reason why sometimes these two attributes do not correspond or is there a bug?

Thanks!

(FME Desktop 2019.1.3.1 19643 WIN64)

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @ekkischeffler,

If you explode blocks when reading the DWG file, there is an option to use the Block Feature Type for the component features. If the block has components on multiple layers, this option may cause a mismatch between the fme_feature_type and the autocad_layer, with the feature type coming from the block layer and the autocad layer coming form the component layer.