Question

Please Help.....Domain Code Values

• 10 September 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge
I am using Data Interoperability and "trying" to create a CAD (dwg) to FGDB workspace to use on all new projects that are submitted to us from a surveyor. I am on week 4 now so still pretty green to this software but do know the power it has once it is working correctly. We require the surveyor to submit an excel table that has all utility info (i.e., valves, tees, bends...) with the feature_ID as the database "key" to join to the .dwg. The problem I am having is finding the best way to convert the excel attributes to the coded domains in the existing FGDB. For example 8"x6" (excel table) is = to 78 in the code value in the geodatabase. What would be the cleanest way to make this conversion? AttributeCopier? This is the last step in my workspace and kind of lost. Thanks in advance for those able to help.  

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

if the attribute mapping is static as is the case for domain values you can make use of the attribute value mapper to map the excel attributes.

To make sure you domain values are valid you can set the option to validate to yes on the writer properties (navigator window).

Hope this helps ,

Itay
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

Alternatively, if the code-value mapping is defined in a table, you can also read the table and merge a value matched with the code to each feature using the FeatureMerger.

As another option, the Joiner might be also usable if it's guaranteed that all the codes are valid.

Takashi
Badge
I do not think Data Interoperability has the validate option? I looked for it and seen in a screen shot on a help doc, but still can not find it in the program? Are you aware if it does or not? thanks again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The Data Interoperability Extension shouls have the "Validate Features" parameter. I found it in ArcGIS 10.1 Data Interop. It is an Advanced Parameter under the Writer parameters in the Navigate pane. All features in all feature classes will be validated if you set this to "Yes" - which can result in slower loading of the features. 

If you are confident in the values in the Excel spreadsheet it is also possible to load them by using the _resolved option of an attribute which is linked to domain values. For example 

The Attribute Size (say) has the code value 78 but Size_resolved has the value 8"x6"

So it is possible to load the data into the geodatabase by renaming the incoming source attribute to the Size_resolved attribute and have the data load correctly into the Geodatabase. 

If you don't validate the features then it will load invalid values but you could use a Toolbox Tool to validate after the fact.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Robyn Rennie

Badge
I found it!!!! Thank you VERY much FME experts. Also it should not matter if the excel file i am using has "List" pulldowns in the cells does it?

Robyn what you said here "load the data into the geodatabase by renaming the incoming source attribute to the Size_resolved attribute and have the data load correctly into the Geodatabase" is exactly what i am trying to accomplishWhat transformer do you use? Thanks again for all the help.