Question

fme and arcpy - calling arcpy functions, where?

• 18 December 2013
  • 3 replies

I tr to execute the following arcpy function from a fme workbench:

arcpy.CalculatePolygonMainAngle_cartography("FeatureLayer", "poly_angle")

from the PythonCaller transformer to calculate a polygons main angle. What I can't really understand (as my python skills are absolute nonexisting) is how to wrap than inside the template function interface. I have tried to integrate the arcpy- function like this:

---

import fmeobjects

import arcpy

def angleFeature(feature):

ang = arcpy.CalculatePolygonMainAngle_cartography("FeatureLayer", "angle")

feature.setAttribute("angle", ang)

--

but when trying to run the workbench I get the following error

ERROR 000732: Input Features: Dataset FeatureLayer does not exist or is not supported

so Im stuck with the problem that the function cant find my source (wich is a Geodatabase_SDE reader. It also feels that once I get the features into the function, CalculatePolygonMainAngle will write the angle to the attribute "angle" and then fme will write it once again in feature.setAttribute.

I obviously dont know much python, perhaps someone else knows and might help out?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Cant help you much about the python, there are better experts for that in the community, but I can provide you with the FME solution: the PolylineAnalyzer transformer from the FME Store.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Itay, I have thought about that transformer but couldn't find a way to use it as I couldnt find much . The ArcPy function calculates the "longest collection of segementsthat have similar orientation" The PolylineAnalyzer documentation is a little sparse, do you have any idea on how to use it instead?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

If I understand the definition correctly it would be a matter of testing the objects resulting from the PolylineAnalyzer for the object with the maximal lenght in the same azimuth/angle category.

All of these attributes are gathered by the transformer.

You can also test your FME results with the results of the script in the ESRI environment.

Itay