Question

Linked custom transformer not found if executed by different user/session

• 25 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

My linked custom transformer ('ColorAndReproject') is used in many places in my workspaces and I am regularly working on it. This is why it's not embeded.

I have installed it with double-clicking the *.fmx file.

It's stored in a "Shared FME Folder".

The workspace does exactly what is expected if I run it in the workbench or if I run it with a *.bat file.

Sadly it does not work when the scheduler kicks-in during the night and tries to run the script (*.bat). The scheduler is a special Windows user with some admin rights.

I get this error log :

The custom transformer 'ColorAndReproject' referenced by this workspace could not be found.  The custom transformer must be installed before the workspace can be runProgram Terminating

There are other workspaces run this way with no problems. But none have a linked custom transformer.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks for your help !

edit : it seems the real problem is that each user executing a script with linked custom transformer should have FME configured to have the "Shared FME Folder" property set accordingly. Any workaround (other than to embed the transformer) ?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Most likely explanation is that the user that the batch file runs as doesn't have access to the shared FME folder. If you grant it access it should work.

Most likely explanation is that the user that the batch file runs as doesn't have access to the shared FME folder. If you grant it access it should work.

Everyone has access to that folder.

But in the same line of thought I just tested this :

A colleague logged in on the same computer and tried to run my workspace ... and failed !

After a quick check we realised he didn't have the "Shared FME Folder" configured to that particular folder.

When he added it it worked.

OK, this makes sense, but it's really not helpfull because I can't just log with that special scheduler account on that computer and configure FME...

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Everyone has access to that folder.

But in the same line of thought I just tested this :

A colleague logged in on the same computer and tried to run my workspace ... and failed !

After a quick check we realised he didn't have the "Shared FME Folder" configured to that particular folder.

When he added it it worked.

OK, this makes sense, but it's really not helpfull because I can't just log with that special scheduler account on that computer and configure FME...

Can you embed the custom transformer? That's the most foolproof way of ensuring it'll work.

Can you embed the custom transformer? That's the most foolproof way of ensuring it'll work.

Yes, of course I could, but it's not what I want to do because it's the exact oppositite of why I use linked custom transformer : reusability and maintenance.

Badge +3

Default share folder.

All linked custom transformers stored there.

All users to be, can add that to their paths. As long as they have acces.

Does'nt appear to be a problem, afaics.