Question

FME fails to add an RData reader

• 13 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

When trying to add an RData reader (.RData or .Rda), FME is unable to open the file and gives the error below:

Workspace generation failed.

4 replies

Badge +2

Can you please check that you have met the prerequesites for using the RData format:

- additional software is required to use this format in FME: Circle Systems Stat/Transfer

- a third-party license is required to use this format in FME, from Circle Systems

More on the RData reader in the FME User Documentation

Badge

I've installed and fully licensed Stat/Transfer 12. The problem I'm having is that FME is failing to generate a workspace with the R reader due to an error translating the R file (.rda). As you may know, there are a lot of ways to save an R file. FME Translator can only work with the R file if it is uncompressed. By default, a simple save command for an R file delivers a compressed file; so the need to uncompress my R file is an example of a little something extra I had to do to get past initial errors. What other parameters do I need to set in R (before working with the R reader) to get a workspace generated with an R reader?

0684Q00000ArLDTQA3.jpg

*R code to prepare "joinedACS_TEST_FME_II.Rda" for FME
serialize(joinedACS, connection=NULL, xdr=FALSE)

save(joinedACS, file="joinedACS_TEST_FME_II.Rda", compress=FALSE)
Badge +2

It looks like we have more work to do on clarifying the functionality of the RData reader in the reader documentation. We will also look at creating an KnowledgeCenter article on why you might use the RData reader vs. RCaller

Badge

0684Q00000ArJKbQAN.png

0684Q00000ArJVmQAN.png

Here are some images of the error and the R environment with the (apparently) all-important serialize and save commands and the accompanying parameters I've attempted to set to get FME to generate a workspace with an RData reader. I hope this helps someone decipher the issue I'm having and some suggestions on how the .Rda file needs to be saved in order to be read by the RData reader.

serialize(joinedACS, connection=NULL, xdr=FALSE)

save(joinedACS, file="ONE_TWO.Rda", ascii=TRUE, compress=FALSE)
<br>