Question

Feature Reader putting dates into ATTRIBUTE.full and ATTRIBUTE

Badge

Hey guys,

I have a dynamic feature reader that reads and SDE database, one of the fields is a date time field called UFI_CREATED

When i use a standard SDE reader this works fine on the dynamic writer. But when I use the feature reader, it appears that its sending the full attribute into UFI_CREATED.full and date attribute called UFI_CREATED. When I try and write this I get an error saying that

A feature, of feature type 'PROPERTY', had an invalid time component for its time/datetime attribute 'UFI_CREATED'.

This is because its expecting the .full attribute but dynamically its getting the shortened one.

I could change all the attributes that I think might be affected manually back to non full, but this defeats the purpose.

Why is it mapping it like this? And is there any way I can prevent this from happening.

Regards,

James

5 replies

Badge +2

FME should no longer be adding the DATE.full attributes. Can you give us more details about the version of FME, the underlying source database for you Geodb (ArcSDE) and a sample workspace that illustrates the problem. Thanks

Badge

Hey@MarkAtSafe,

Using 2018.0.1.0 Build 18310

The Feature Reader is using Esri Legacy ArcSDE

for-safe-feature-reader-issue.fmw

Badge +2

@jamesleversha Thanks for additional information. I've reproduced the issue on our ArcSDE (Legacy) database. The issue with reading date.full seems to be limited to the ArcSDE (Legacy) reader, which only has limited support. You could work around this by using the Geodatabase (ArcSDE) reader or possibly using the BulkAttributeRenamer.

It's very unlikely that we'll address this issue as SDE libraries are no longer supported by Esri.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

One workaround in the meantime would be to just have an AttributeRenamer in the workflow that renames the UFI_CREATED.full to UFI_CREATED (presuming that the .full is what you want written out). You can pipe all features through such a renamer -- if they had no such attribute it will just bounce off and have no effect). (And I'm sorry for this -- long ago we created this when we didn't have good support for dates and times...and so we're stuck with this issue in a few spots)

Badge

One workaround in the meantime would be to just have an AttributeRenamer in the workflow that renames the UFI_CREATED.full to UFI_CREATED (presuming that the .full is what you want written out). You can pipe all features through such a renamer -- if they had no such attribute it will just bounce off and have no effect). (And I'm sorry for this -- long ago we created this when we didn't have good support for dates and times...and so we're stuck with this issue in a few spots)

Thanks @daleatsafe, yeah using the bulk attribute renamer is working. Thanks.