Solved

Distance between points with same IDs

• 21 January 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi All,

After a long summer holiday (sorry to those in the northern latitudes:-) my brain has apparently turned to mush, think too much sun and beer! Anyways...

I have two point shapefiles, their is a common field between them (ID). I am trying to establish if the common points between the shapefiles have the same geom in  the two layers. (with a tolerance of 1m)

I have buffered one layer by 1m and then used a spatialfilter (CONTAINS) to establish if the points are within 1m of each other. I now want the distance between the points that dont satsfy the CONTAINS condition. ie >1m away. These come out of the SpatialFilter FAILED port. 

I have tried using a Neighborfinder to get the distance  if these FAILED records but i cant specify which IDs to compare. (ie the groupby clause = ID) doesnt work for me. 

Does anyone else have an idea on how to establish the distance between these points that have failed the CONTAINS test. 

Thanks Steve

icon

Best answer by david_r 21 January 2013, 11:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Unless I misunderstand something, you could probably drop the bufferer and replace everything with a NeighborFinder, group by ID, and with large maximum value. The output features will contain the attribute "_distance" (see the help) that you could then filter with a Tester.

Hope this helps.

David

I would try David's solution (using a NeighborFinder directly and Group By ID), but the PointConnector might also be worth trying, using the ID again as the break attribute. The sorting won't matter in this case.

After this, you can calculate the length of the lines and do some expression evaluating. You might even get the middle of the connecting line to replace the two 'identical' points geometry (if the line is shorter than 1 meter).
Badge

Thanks for your input Dave and Sandman,

i went with the Neighbourhood finder and the test filter. 

Cheers for your input and help

Steve