Question

Finding gaps in a polygon layer - help needed to create basic translation

Badge

Hi!

I need help creating a basic translation for identifying and writing to shapefile the gaps between polygons on one layer. I don't know how to begin!

I really appriciate some tips on what transformers to use and how to configure them too look for the gaps that are millimeters in size. I dont need the translation to repair the gaps, I just want to find them to investigate myself.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @sofiamvalentin, could you send a example of your polygons? You can try to use the transformer AreaonAreaOverlayer to find ( with Tester ) the polygons are not touching. And try to use transformers Snapper or AnchoredSnapper to have a good solution.

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

To find all gaps you can create a bounding box of all polygons (BoundingBoxAccumulator).

Then feed all polygons and the bounding box to the AreaonAreaOverlayer.

Then use a Tester (_overlaps = 1) to get the gaps (they should only have the bounding box at that location).

Badge

Finding gaps and overlaps is quite simple.

Please see the attached workbanch.find-gaps-overlaps.fmw

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Firstly repair the polygons to resolve the gaps (Snapper or SliverRemover), dissolve them to form a single large polygon (Dissolver), and then clip the large polygon by the original polygons (Clipper). I expect that the resulting features output from the Outside port of the Clipper would be narrow polygons that represent the gaps between the original polygons.