Question

FTP Caller Error in the SSH Layer

Badge

I have been trying to get the FTPCaller transformer to upload data to a sftp site. I'm afraid everything ends up in the <Rejected> port and I get the following error "HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Error in the SSH layer'". Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? I'm able to upload data without issue using FileZilla and it does appear that I'm connecting to the sftp server correctly. Any support would be much appreciated!

12 replies

Badge

Hey @tara did you get a fix to the "Error in the SSH layer" error in the end? I'm having the same issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hey @tara did you get a fix to the "Error in the SSH layer" error in the end? I'm having the same issue!

Hi @batesy,

Please, share us your log file.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Yes I did @batesy. In the URL box, you need to include the name of the file you are uploading. So, for example, sftp://data.domain.net/data/file.csv. You might need to include the data folder after the domain.net. You might get an "incomplete transformer" warning if the file doesn't already exist and yet you create it right before using the FTP caller. It will still work. Let me know if you still have issues getting it to work and I can provide more details.

Badge

Hey thanks for the help @tara, I got it working with the full url as you suggested. I also had a permission issue with the destination folder, although FME didn't give me any clue to that! All good now though. Cheers!

Badge
Was there a solution for this issue? I'm getting this error as well:

FTPCaller_3(FTPFactory): HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Error in the SSH layer'

Badge
Was there a solution for this issue? I'm getting this error as well:

FTPCaller_3(FTPFactory): HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Error in the SSH layer'

@brianpeters the fix for this was to include the data folder name after the domain, as well as the actual file name, so for example the ftp would be sftp://data.domain.net/data/file.csv. I have had it work without including the data folder (so just doing sftp://data.domain.net/file.csv), but that seems to be hit or miss.

Badge
ok, i guess my issue will be a little different. I'm pulling all content in the ftp folder. I usually get this to work on most sites but this one doesn't work giving me this error. It will create a list of files but the second ftpcaller that downloads only creates empty csv files. adding an @Value(files_csv) at the end as i said usually works but not this time! The only difference is the user name has to be in the url 'sftp//username@ftp.site.com/folder/@Value(files_csv)'

Badge
ok, i guess my issue will be a little different. I'm pulling all content in the ftp folder. I usually get this to work on most sites but this one doesn't work giving me this error. It will create a list of files but the second ftpcaller that downloads only creates empty csv files. adding an @Value(files_csv) at the end as i said usually works but not this time! The only difference is the user name has to be in the url 'sftp//username@ftp.site.com/folder/@Value(files_csv)'

I'm really going out on a limb here @brianapeters as I'm by no means an expert at this transformer. Have you tried including the user name under the authentication parameters? I have found that moving some of the parameters have been helpful in the past. I'm just not sure what else to do. Sorry!

Badge
I'm really going out on a limb here @brianapeters as I'm by no means an expert at this transformer. Have you tried including the user name under the authentication parameters? I have found that moving some of the parameters have been helpful in the past. I'm just not sure what else to do. Sorry!

so in this case it is in both the url and the perimeters. Ive have done this before but you maybe on to something... I've never had the username in the url. It will login and list the files in the 'files_csv' but not download the contents? They are simply empty files?

Badge
so in this case it is in both the url and the perimeters. Ive have done this before but you maybe on to something... I've never had the username in the url. It will login and list the files in the 'files_csv' but not download the contents? They are simply empty files?

I remember having to do something similar to this with the http caller. It required changing the actual URL from the one I would typically use. I don't remember there being any clear logic (that I could identify at least), but I just started playing around with the URL by adding to, removing, and moving around the different elements until it worked. Again, I know this is far from logical, and doesn't provide you with a solution, but it might be worth a try.

Badge

i will do just that play around until it works or FME support send me a solution lol.

Badge

If you do find a solution, would you mind sharing? Good luck!