Question

How can I see database info behind ODBC connection?

• 6 November 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hate to be vague with my question. It's quite possible the solution lies outside of FME, too.

I have inherited a large workspace with multiple SQL Creators that use ODBC connections. There is a database name listed, and under 'Parameters' there are credentials. There is a SQL statement. Neither tables nor dataset sound familiar.

So I have no idea what this actually connects to. There is no way for me to find that through FME, is there? I'm thinking this was either setup through DSN but I haven't located a file, or another way. Any insights would be helpful.

1 reply

Badge +11

FME does not store any more information for embedded connections other than what you'll be seeing in the SQLCreator's, so I'm afraid that FME won't be able to help you much.

One potential idea is to create a copy of one of the existing SQLCreators, complete with embedded credentials (I think this should retain the existing password), and use that to issue some DDL commands to get info from the DB. Obviously, the commands you need to issue would be dependent on the type of DB you're connecting to (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.)

Of course, moving forward, you should be using DB connections in FME, rather than embedded connections, but that's another matter entirely and still wouldn't really help you in this case.