Question

Sketchup Reader does not read in all feature geometries

Badge

I would like to import a skp file with Trimble Sketchup Reader in FME 2015. But not all geometry features were read. I tried different reader parameter settings (edges, hidden layers with geometries, ...) but nothing works well.

What can I do to read all geometries within the sketchup file?

thx,

borone

3 replies

Hi @borone

I checked in our developer database and the only issues of missing features were all fixed in 2015 or earlier so they shouldn't be a problem. However, one interesting fact I found was this:

the SketchUp API does not expose any geometries it thinks are invalid

So, maybe the missing features are for some reason invalid? You can repair the model using a tool in SketchUp I believe. The features would then be missing there as well (so keep a backup) but it would prove whether or not FME is dropping good features or whether they were invalid to start with.

The developer who made the above comment went on to say:

As a workaround, exploding the groups in SketchUp until there are just faces left seems to fix most of the geometries.

That was for a specific user and model, but maybe something like that would help you?

Hope this is of use

Mark

Badge

Hi @mark2catsafe

I checked my sketchup file and I found two issues I would share with you.

1st of all the SKP file was written by Sketchup Version 2016. Remember, I used FME 2015... But the major cause was the spreading of geometry objects over more than one layer. To repair this I moved all objects to "Layer0", repaired the groups and cleaned the skp file deleting all invisible items.

After these steps FME2015 reads all geometry features out of the sketchup file without problems.

Thank you for your advice

Borone

Hi @mark2catsafe

I checked my sketchup file and I found two issues I would share with you.

1st of all the SKP file was written by Sketchup Version 2016. Remember, I used FME 2015... But the major cause was the spreading of geometry objects over more than one layer. To repair this I moved all objects to "Layer0", repaired the groups and cleaned the skp file deleting all invisible items.

After these steps FME2015 reads all geometry features out of the sketchup file without problems.

Thank you for your advice

Borone

Thanks. That's good information to know.