Question

Email from FME Desktop

• 11 October 2013
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
I would like to be able to send an email once a workspace has completed from FME Desktop. 

I have tried PythonEmailer which failed and DirectTweeter which got stuck in a look and sent 56 messages and stalled the workspace. 

Any other options? 

Thanks

seb 

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

those should both be viable options, although there are always alternatives depending on how much work you're willing to invest.

What error messages did the PythonEmailer report?

For the Tweeter, be aware that it will send a tweet for every single feature that enters it. If you only want a single tweet, consider using a Sampler to only use the first feature to trigger DirectTweeter.

David
Hi,

I'm not able to give you the python script that can handle this. But in general you could implement your script as a 'python shutdown script'.  This can be found in the Navigator -> Workspace Parameters -> Advanced -> 'Shutdown Python Script'. This will start when your FME process has finished..

Best regards,

Stefan
Badge +1
Thanks David

The error message was

Python Exception <SMTPException>: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.

Error encountered while calling function `email'

I am glad the Direct Tweet failed in that case as the workspace writes about 10m features.

Thanks

Seb
Userlevel 4
Hi,

don't worry about the DirectTweeter, there is a limitation in place in Twitter to prevent anybody from sending that many tweets :-)

Regarding the error message, it is probably due to the particular configuration used on your SMTP server. Take a look here for some details.

If possible, consider using a gmail account for sending emails. That usually works with minimal fuss. This article should get you started.

David
Badge +1
I had set it up with gmail which is where it failed.

I had set it to Port 587 (from the gmail settings page) but have changed it to 465 as per your message but it runs to

Loaded module 'EvaluateExpression_func' from file 'C:\\apps\\FME\\plugins/EvaluateExpression_func.dll'

FME API version of module 'EvaluateExpression_func' matches current internal version (3.7 20121025)

Then just sits doing nothing.

Seb

Userlevel 4
Hi,

it's difficult to tell... Have you looked at this article on FMEpedia?

David
Badge +1
Thanks david

I will have a go with it. 

Seb 
Badge
Hi, i used the TCLemailer a while back and at first it wouldnt send the email as McAfee was blocking the app from sending.  Cant recall the exact events

Try disabling your antivirus software.