Solved

NetCDF to raster/ASCII

• 13 January 2015
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me, I have a NetCDF file containing daily rainfall data (given in julian days, i.e. 1 = 1st January, 32 = 1st Feburary, 60 = 1st March [not a leap year]).

I am trying to aggregate these values by month and output them as ASCII files, I was thinking of just using a simple lookup table to convert the julian day to month, but am struggling to figure out how NetCDFs are read into FME and how I would go about this and also outputing the result as an ASCII grid.

Best wishes,

Ed
icon

Best answer by david_r 13 January 2015, 15:21

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Hi,

that would depend on how the NetCDF has been generated, but in general the temporal axis is represented as raster bands. So you would probably have one raster band per month, I'd guess. The raster bands will also typically have some attributes associated with them, e.g. some date, month number/name or what have you.

I have found that the easiest (by far) way to analyze a NetCDF is to open the it using the FME Inspector, select the whole raster (select a rectangle rather than a point) and inspect the attributes there.

David