Solved

Can you do an UPDATE fme_db_operation using a field of type GUID as the Update Key?

• 11 September 2017
  • 5 replies

I am trying to use a GUID field to update records in an ArcSDE Writer. It seems to work perfectly when using an integer field for the Update Key, but when I use a field with type=guid the update does not go through.

icon

Best answer by nathanatsafe 11 September 2017, 21:03

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Which version of FME are you using? Older versions of FME didn't fully support GUID fields, but I believe FME 2016 and later should be able to do it.

I also suggest inspecting the contents of the GUID attribute just before the writer to make sure it contains a valid value.

Using FME 2017.0.

The GUID looks to be a valid value.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

The GUID field is a character field. Are you using quotes in the right way?

Badge +11

Using FME 2017.0.

The GUID looks to be a valid value.

Is it an old workspace being run in 2017? Re-add the writer might help. I'm not certain though where the GUID handling improved so this may not help at all. I have seen this work recently.

Badge +7

Different versions of FME treat GUIDs slightly differently, including possibly adding or dropping the surrounding { } characters, which can confuse a writer or a transformer like the ChangeDetector. The behaviour also varies slightly between File GDB and ArcSDE GDB. Close inspection of the attribute before the writer, as @david_r suggested, should reveal discrepancies if this is the root issue. Such an issue can be fixed with an AttributeManager.