Question

How do I read a 7Z File

• 21 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I have been provided with a compressed gdb file as a 7Z File but having no luck reading it.

5 replies

Badge +1

Not sure can it be read with some reader. But a workaround is:

1. Creator

2. SystemCaller using command like "C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7z.exe" x D:\\Addresses.7z -oD:\\ -y -r

3. FeatureReader - reading gdb previously unzipped data

Cheers, Želimir

Badge +2

@gisgeek

I had issues reading a large GDB contained within a zip a while ago that was compressed with different technologies. But I could open a GDB with 7Zip but using Windows Compresed file I could not. Reported to Safe and PR69689 logged.

I assume your compressed file has .7z extension so compressed with 7Zip using 7z archive format. I just tried and cannot open, however if compressed using 7Zip but with Zip archive format it works fine.

Already created as an idea here https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/36834/reading-in-7z-formatted-files.html

so add your vote if important to you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Any update on this? Does FME now read 7zip files as well ?

@gisgeek​ @mark_f​ 

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Any update on this? Does FME now read 7zip files as well ?

@gisgeek​ @mark_f​ 

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​, reading 7zip is supported. There's a bit more information on it here in Reading from Archive Files. I think support for 7zip started around FME 2018.1. You can drag and drop the 7zip and specify the file format, or if you are selecting from your folder, you may need to change the file extension filter to 'Archive Files' to be able to select the .7z file.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​, reading 7zip is supported. There's a bit more information on it here in Reading from Archive Files. I think support for 7zip started around FME 2018.1. You can drag and drop the 7zip and specify the file format, or if you are selecting from your folder, you may need to change the file extension filter to 'Archive Files' to be able to select the .7z file.

Thanks Jovita.

I did try it, and it seems to work, although the syntax for addressing files within the zipped archive it somewhat different from ZIP files.

I.e. not "....xxx.zip/internalFolder/internalFile" but "....xx.7z[internalFolder/internalFile]"

Do you know whether this new syntax is 7zip specific, or the approved syntax going forward for all archive files ?

Cheers