Solved

Migrating from FME Cloud to FME Server (on-premises)

• 4 September 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge

In the next few months we will be migrating from an FME Cloud instance (2018.1) on Linux to Windows Server 2016 and I haven't been able to locate any information on the proper way to migrate this. Trying to get a game plan together before we attempt this. We will still have the FME Cloud instance running while we perform the migration. Will the FME Cloud backups work with the FME Server on the Windows server platform?

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or have any useful links, that would be much appreciated. All I can find is migrating from FME Server to FME Cloud information, so I wasn't sure what hurdles might be in the way in doing this the other way with different OS's.
icon

Best answer by gerhardatsafe 4 September 2018, 19:57

View original

8 replies

Badge +8

Hello @madwarren;

I believe that migrating from a higher build to a lower build would create problems, specifically when it comes to the workspaces. Is there a chance that you would be upgrading your FME Server to 2018?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I agree with @gisinnovationsb, there is a very high likelyhood of compatability issues. If you've used transformers, readers or writers that have been updated between FME 2016 and now those workspaces will not work on your FME Server. You can check this by opening the workspaces in FME 2016 Desktop and see if you get any warnings (or transformers go missing).

Best option would be to upgrade to FME Server 2018 too, then backup your FME Cloud and restore the backup in FME Server -or- create projects on FME Cloud and backup/restore those (as the full backup would also do the user management and security setup and you may want to set that up differently if it's running on-premises).

I doubt there will be much in the way of OS issues to be honest. The Windows version supports more formats than the Linux one actually, but to be on the safe side you can doublecheck in the Formats Matrix.

Badge

Hi @madwarren,

there shouldn't be any issues restoring an FME Server backup from FME Cloud on your on-premise machine as long as the build of the FME Server you restore on is similar or higher.

Regarding instruction you only need to follow the documentation for the FME Server Backup & Restore.

Regarding the differences between the OS, the main thing to be aware of would be file paths. Linux is using forward slashes and windows backward slashes as separators in file paths. It is recommended to use the FME Server parameters when possible (e.g FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA) instead hordcoded paths to avoid complications during migration.

Badge

Hi @madwarren,

there shouldn't be any issues restoring an FME Server backup from FME Cloud on your on-premise machine as long as the build of the FME Server you restore on is similar or higher.

Regarding instruction you only need to follow the documentation for the FME Server Backup & Restore.

Regarding the differences between the OS, the main thing to be aware of would be file paths. Linux is using forward slashes and windows backward slashes as separators in file paths. It is recommended to use the FME Server parameters when possible (e.g FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA) instead hordcoded paths to avoid complications during migration.

@GerhardAtSafe Thank you sir! I just wanted to be sure I went over all of the documentation before I began. I have successfully performed multiple backup and restores on FME Cloud.

Badge

Hello @madwarren;

I believe that migrating from a higher build to a lower build would create problems, specifically when it comes to the workspaces. Is there a chance that you would be upgrading your FME Server to 2018?

We will be using the same versioning as FME Cloud as it is 2018.1 for FME Server.

Badge

I agree with @gisinnovationsb, there is a very high likelyhood of compatability issues. If you've used transformers, readers or writers that have been updated between FME 2016 and now those workspaces will not work on your FME Server. You can check this by opening the workspaces in FME 2016 Desktop and see if you get any warnings (or transformers go missing).

Best option would be to upgrade to FME Server 2018 too, then backup your FME Cloud and restore the backup in FME Server -or- create projects on FME Cloud and backup/restore those (as the full backup would also do the user management and security setup and you may want to set that up differently if it's running on-premises).

I doubt there will be much in the way of OS issues to be honest. The Windows version supports more formats than the Linux one actually, but to be on the safe side you can doublecheck in the Formats Matrix.

Sorry for any confusion. FME Server versioning will be the same. The 2016 was only referring to the Windows Server version. I plan on using the same FME 2018.1 version on FME Server that is currently on FME Cloud. I just wasn't sure if there would be any issues with migrating it from Linux OS to Windows OS.

Badge +8
We will be using the same versioning as FME Cloud as it is 2018.1 for FME Server.

Look at FME Cloud as being FME Server hosted in the cloud. When migrating it should not be difficult with the BackUp/Restore functionality. However, you will need to look into the paths and the database connections as they must be the same on each server. As mentioned by Gerhard there is no difference using it on Windows or Linux, at the exception that the paths might be different. This; as I know could be solved by storing the data in the "Resources" folders. Anything outside would have to be looked into.

Badge
Look at FME Cloud as being FME Server hosted in the cloud. When migrating it should not be difficult with the BackUp/Restore functionality. However, you will need to look into the paths and the database connections as they must be the same on each server. As mentioned by Gerhard there is no difference using it on Windows or Linux, at the exception that the paths might be different. This; as I know could be solved by storing the data in the "Resources" folders. Anything outside would have to be looked into.

Ok. I appreciate the additional help. It makes sense now.