Question

Preserve transformers when upgrading to new version of FME

Badge

Is there a setting in FME, where transformers that are in an older version of FME Workbench do not get deleted, when FME is upgraded to the newer version? I had a Joiner transformer within my workbench, but because FME 2018 modified the name, the transformer was removed. If there is not a setting, is there a best practice to prevent this in the future?

Thank you for any advice!

David

3 replies

Userlevel 4

That is strange, FME should have no problems opening and running older workspaces, I do it all the time and I've never seen a transformer getting removed. If that's the case, consider sending your workspace to Safe support for analysis.

The other way, however, is more problematic, since older versions of FME doesn't how how to behave if it finds references to functionality that wasn't available when it was released, e.g. if you open a workspace authored in FME 2018 using an older version, such as FME 2016. Transformers (or versions of transformers) that weren't yet available when FME 2016 was released will be removed since it has no idea what to do with them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @david_prosack88 -- that definitely should not happen. The "Joiner" is need still there as it always was. If you have the original workspace still please do send in to support@safe.com so we can examine what is going on. It is 100% our goal that if it worked in the past, it will work in the future.

Badge +11

Hi @david_prosack88, for a short period of time in FME 2018.0 Betas – there was a new Joiner transformer. However, it had been renamed to FeatureJoiner for the official release, and a good count of Betas leading up to it. Is it possible that this workspace was opened (and saved?) in one of these beta builds?