Question

"Error running translation." error With FME 64bit when output shp or Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) format

• 27 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +6

I installed ArcGIS 10.2.2 and ArcGIS for Desktop and 64 bit Background Geoprocessing, So I can use FME 64bit to output shp or Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) format, but even if the processing succeeds, the error message "Error running translation." will be displayed at the end at the end. I tested it with FME 2017.1.2.1 and FME 2018.0.0.0, The same problem occurs.

How can I prevent this message from appearing?

8 replies

Badge +10
Normally there is more information in the log than just "Error running translation". Could you share the other errors as well? Because now it is a wild guess to say what is causing the error.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

FME Does not require an ESRI License to output to shapefile. The ESRI thing might be a red herring here. I would also echo @lars_de_vries's comment about there usually be more information about the ERROR in the log file - usually further up. Perhaps you could share the log with us?

Badge +6

Thanks @lars_de_vries and @MattAtSafe.

I will upload the log file and capture of the execution screen.

After checking, the error message "Error running translation." is not included at the end of the log file. Only the execution screen is displayed.

To create a Shape file, ESRI license is unnecessary, but I think it is necessary to create a spatial index. By default Shape Writer's Write Spatial Index is enabled. If this option is turned off, the above error will disappear. By the way, the above error does not occur in FME 32bit.

In my observation, when calling ArcObjects and doing something, the above error will occur.

shapetestlog.zip

Badge +10

After checking, the error message "Error running translation." is not included at the end of the log file. Only the execution screen is displayed.

To create a Shape file, ESRI license is unnecessary, but I think it is necessary to create a spatial index. By default Shape Writer's Write Spatial Index is enabled. If this option is turned off, the above error will disappear. By the way, the above error does not occur in FME 32bit.

In my observation, when calling ArcObjects and doing something, the above error will occur.

shapetestlog.zip

The issue might have to do with Shapefiles being 32bit and running 64bit FME. Usually when people install ArcGIS Desktop, 64bit background processing is installed as well. I can imagine that having that installed extra would excempt the error.

However since you're not running ArcGIS, this might cause the error.

I think this error should be filed as a bug if it's reproducable, however I can't reproduce it, since I have ArcGIS installed. You can file it here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

shapetestlog.zip

Aha! Thanks for sharing the log file @taojunabc. The Shape writer did throw me off but as you've correctly pointed out it is indeed checking out a license. I noticed you're working on windows 7 and this gave me the clue.

The problem is with a recent Security patch on Windows 7 which effected ArcGIS (64 bit). ESRI Release a patch to fix the problem. You can find the solution here: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/63592/fme-exe-has-stopped-working-after-updating-windows.htmlThe patches are here on this page: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7579 you'll want to get the ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 fix.
Badge +6
Aha! Thanks for sharing the log file @taojunabc. The Shape writer did throw me off but as you've correctly pointed out it is indeed checking out a license. I noticed you're working on windows 7 and this gave me the clue.

The problem is with a recent Security patch on Windows 7 which effected ArcGIS (64 bit). ESRI Release a patch to fix the problem. You can find the solution here: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/63592/fme-exe-has-stopped-working-after-updating-windows.htmlThe patches are here on this page: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7579 you'll want to get the ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 fix.
@MattAtSafe

I installed this ESRI Patch that you told me to solve this problem perfectly.

This problem has troubled me for a long time. Thanks very mach !!!
Badge +6
The issue might have to do with Shapefiles being 32bit and running 64bit FME. Usually when people install ArcGIS Desktop, 64bit background processing is installed as well. I can imagine that having that installed extra would excempt the error.

However since you're not running ArcGIS, this might cause the error.

I think this error should be filed as a bug if it's reproducable, however I can't reproduce it, since I have ArcGIS installed. You can file it here.

@lars_de_vries

Thank you for your attention. I installed ESRI Patch according to the @MattAtSafe's method to solve this problem. There is no similar problem on your PC. I guess it may be because you use a version other than ArcGIS 10.2.2, or you have installed this patch.
Badge

I'm having a similar problem with FME 2018.1 and writing to ASCII Grid. I'm processing around 3,000 tiles and the process will output ~700 and then produce the 'Error Running Translation' message and just stop. The tile that it will fail on almost seems random so I thought it might be a memory or processing issue but now I'm not so sure... Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?