Question

DXF to TAB with attributes

• 28 March 2013
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

I am trying to convert DXF to TAB, with dxf layer names converted to attributes of the single  MapInfo table. In another words, I need MapInfo table with attributes telling me what layer each feature belongs to.

What are my possible solutions?

Thanks

N

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

The FeatureTypeExtractor will set your dxf layer name into an attribute.

Hope this helps
It is still spitting out the same number of seperate tables. What do I need to adjust in order to get one file with all the attributes?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

If you are letting FME decide what the destination is (e.i dynamic) then a tab per layer will written, just name your destination tab (test?) add the FeatureTypeExtractor between the reader and writer, add your attribute of choice that contains the feature type (automatically set to _feature_type) to the writer to get the dxf layer into an attribute.
Userlevel 4
Hi,

have you tried exposing the format attribute "fme_feature_type" on the input feature types? This attribute usually contains the layer names on DXF files. (Alternatively, try the ACAD attribute "autocad_layer")

You could then rename this attribute into whatever you need in you MapInfo file.

David
Badge +14
...and if you want to map your features from an old layer to a new one or do some kind of lookup based on where the feature 'was', then the AttributeValueMapper is a great transformer for this kind of task.
Thanks all,

I have tried Itay's way and it works. Will look at the other ways next time :)

Just faced another problem:

The dwg file came in without the coordinate system specified and I need the converted tab file to be in GDA94-MGA51.

When I just assume that the dwg is in MGA51 & destination the same as the source and run my workspace, I'm getting the following errors:

Some objects were written outside of the file's predefined bounds.

These objects may have invalid coordinates when the file is reopened.

Predefined bounds: (-7745844.29604574,2035.0568454858)-(8745844.29604573,19997964.9431545)

Does that tell me the source file was not in MGA51?

I do have another file that shows where the dwg suppose to sit.. So how can I bring it in, in the right place?