Solved

Making Lines From Points With Specific Fields In Each Feature

• 5 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

I'm having trouble locating a clear answer because of some of the upgrades to the tools that have occured in the 2017 version. PointConnector was superceded by LineBuilder, which works well when I have multiple features with the same value in one field, but sequential values in another field.

What I can't figure out is how to create lines from points by specifying certain fields to connect. For example, I have around 30,000 point features in two different point layers (60k total), which need to be connected based on shared values in a shared field.

I know I can combine these as Suppliers in the FeatureMerger, join them with a requester, and build lines from points, but the tool seems ambiguous on exactly how this works. In other words, I don't know how the tool knows how I want to build lines.

The concept of what I need to do is as follows:

VertexCreator A --> Points A (created from A field) -->

VertexCreator B --> Points B (created from B field) -->

---> Connect point layers as lines with unique shared values in C field of each point layer.

It seems pretty simple from an ArcGIS perspective, but I can't seem to find the right tool for this.

Thanks.

I'm using FME 2018.

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 5 March 2019, 23:01

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

I don't think there is actually a need for a point connector here. If you create features so that they contain both the A and B field, use a vertexcreator set to replace with point and the values in A field followed by a vertexcreator set to add point your lines will be created.

Badge

I don't think there is actually a need for a point connector here. If you create features so that they contain both the A and B field, use a vertexcreator set to replace with point and the values in A field followed by a vertexcreator set to add point your lines will be created.

Thank you. I wouldn't have known the VertexCreator can build lines if you hadn't commented. After filtering out the leftover points, I was able to write the lines to a geodatabase.