Question

FME Citrix XenApp - Parallel Processing

• 31 May 2017
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I manage an FME Desktop 2016.1.3.2 environment running out of Citrix XenApp 7.6.300 as a Published Application.

We are having issues with anything that uses Parallel Processing, We have managed to get it working (no idea why it started working) and it was working well for some months, then recently it has just stopped with out any real reason. No changes have been made to the environment.

Some things I have found.

When running a workspace that has Parallel Processing turned on (any level) via the Citrix Published FME it fails at the stage

"Storing feature(s) to FME feature store file E:\\MultiProcessor_11245\\inspector.ffs"

Then we get an error box that "FME EXE has stopped working" "Close the Program"

Run the same workspace but turn off Parallel Processing - works fine

If I manually RDP into the XenApp Server as the same account and run the exact same workspace with all the same settings, including Parallel Processing... it works every time.

To me it seems like something relating to it being a Published App via Citrix - it seems to fail as soon as it tries to spawn off the additional FME.exe processes.

Wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before?

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

For anyone running into this, it appears that this limited to when launching either FME Workbench or the Command Line application from Citrix itself. It is potentially related to permissions. As a test, when launching the command prompt as administrator from the File Browser and then using

runas /user:<enter your username here> 

to launch a new instance of the cmd with the same user as I use to log into the Citrix app itself the FME process crashes. If anyone has been able to run an FME process in parallel via launching FME Workbench (or the Command line) from the Citrix app please share your experience and set up here.