Question

Custom icon to a coordinate ?

• 1 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

Is there any way to assign or place an icon to a coordinate instead of the default "bullet" ? I have the icon, I have the coordinate.

I'm aware of the KMLStyler capabilities (in fact, this is pretty much what I need), the trick is I create the output from a generic writer, so we have the ability to create other geo\\cad format then KML. I would like to have my own .jpg icon linked to the coordinate itself, so I expect it to be "see able" whatever the output I've made available.

Does it make sense ? Any hint in order to get it done ?

Thanks much, regards.

3 replies

Badge +3

move the jpg and then write it with world file = yes

jpeg_esrishape2jpeg.fmwt

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

It really depends on the format that is being written to. Can you write both raster and vector, or link vector to raster, as you can with KML/KMZ?

If you are using DGN or DWG as the output format, then there are geometry types (cells and inserts) that can be set up just like in KML.

A standard solution for nearly any format would be to write the jpg file name to a field in the output data, and use that as a link to the jpg. Again, that sort of depends on where you are using the output, and how it can "see" a linked object.

Or - as gio suggests - you could add the raster feature at the location where the point exists. But then you have both a vector dataset and a separate raster one.

If the output is fully raster then you could merge the jpg onto the raster data itself. At least then you would only get a single output file/format. But I get the feeling this is not what you want.

In short, KML is specifically designed to do this. Other formats (DGN/DWG) might be. But otherwise there's not really a generic method other than saving the jpg file name as an attribute.

Badge

Thank you gentleman's. My ultimate goal is to get the desired jpg icon (attached) instead of this default Google icon. Icon is localized at a coordinate that come from my workflow. I know that I could use the KMLStyler transformer to do it, but like I said, I write the final output thru a generic writer in order to have the ability to write into different formats, so I would like to get the same desired jpg icon if I publish in MapInfo or ESRI format.

I went thru your recommendations but I did not succeed :(.