Solved

FME file mover object

Hi all, does anyone have experience in using the filecopy/mover object.

I have created a photo exiff extraction to o tab file workspace. what I would like to do its once its processed it moves it to a new location.

I have no idea how to place the object, does anyone have an example of doing something similar>

Dave

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 3 July 2020, 08:42

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I must admit the FileCopyWriter feels less intuitive then most other writers, but you just need to check the documentation.

If you only want to move a file from one directory to another, you need to feed the writer an attribute "filecopy_source_dataset" with the original filepath. Define the destination folder in the "dataset" field in the writer and off you go. See the format attributes.

filecopywritersample.fmwt

If you use "filecopy_dest_dataset" it will overrule the "dataset" field in the writer.

If you want to rename the file, you can do this using the attribute "filecopy_dest_ filename".

Attached 2019.1 workspace template, demoing moving files from folder input to folder output.

Awesome, thank you for help.

Dave

Ok got this working. I cant seem to get the Move function working, copy is working.

Is there a trick?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Ok got this working. I cant seem to get the Move function working, copy is working.

Is there a trick?

Any warnings in the log?

If "Overwrite Existing File" is set to No, and the file already exists, nothing will happen.

But a warning will be added in the log:

Awesome, thank you for help.

Dave

Hi Mate, I have that option on. i am thinking the file is locked as I am adding it to a mapinfo tab at the same time? what are your thoughts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Hi Mate, I have that option on. i am thinking the file is locked as I am adding it to a mapinfo tab at the same time? what are your thoughts?

Might be. Replace the default writer with a featurewriter, you can then define an outputport for the written features to ensure the file is written before you move it.

filecopywritersample.fmw

Mate works perfect, BIG thank you for all the help!!!!!

Dave

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Mate works perfect, BIG thank you for all the help!!!!!

Dave

Cheers, happy I could help :)