Question

Problems by choosing a different Python interpreter

• 17 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have the following problem: In my FME workbench I need Python and additional Python modules. Because a few of them cannot be installed with fme easy_install and the FME python interpreter does not accept modules which are manually installed I decided to install Python 2.7 indepently from FME and use its python interpreter.

So I installed Python, installed the modules, tested it in the shell by importing the modules and it worked. Then I followed the instruction on https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/814/choosing-a-different-python-interpreter-installati.html and chose the python27.dll instead of the standarized fme python.dll. After that also I tested to import the modules in FME by scripting a Startup Python script but here it says that the modules could not be found.

What could be the problem?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Consider setting the PYTHONHOME environment variable so that it points to your chosen Python installation, e.g.

PYTHONHOME=C:\Python27

Badge

Hello @david_r

I setted all the python variables as it should be:

• Path=........D:\Programme\Python27\;D:\Programme\Python27\Scripts
  • PYTHONHOME=D:\Programme\Python27
  • PYTHONPATH=D:\Programme\Python27

And I also setted the C:/SystemWOW64/python27.dll as the preferred python interpreter.

As a test I opened a new workbench, and implemented a simple python script. Somehow FME uses the wrong .dll (not the one I setted in the FME Options) and the wrong PYTHONHOME although it was setted the right way and I don't know why. Aditionally there is a message 'The user-specified library D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe could not be loaded' in the log file. The whole logifle:

START - ProcessID: 10532,
peak process memory usage: 30908 kB, current process memory usage: 30832 kB 

FME Configuration: Command
line arguments are `D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe'
`C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\3\wb-xlate-XXXXXXX'
`LOG_STANDARDOUT' `YES' `LogCountServerName'
`{XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX}' 

The User-specified library
D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe could not be loaded 

Using Python interpreter
from `D:\Programme\FME\fmepython27\python27.dll' with PYTHONHOME
`D:\Programme\FME\fmepython27' 

Python version 2.7 loaded
successfully 

Userlevel 4
You have to really verify that all your components are either 32- or 64-bits, you cannot mix them:

• FME
  • Python as specified by PYTHONHOME
  • Python.dll

Userlevel 4

Hello @david_r

I setted all the python variables as it should be:

• Path=........D:\Programme\Python27\;D:\Programme\Python27\Scripts
  • PYTHONHOME=D:\Programme\Python27
  • PYTHONPATH=D:\Programme\Python27

And I also setted the C:/SystemWOW64/python27.dll as the preferred python interpreter.

As a test I opened a new workbench, and implemented a simple python script. Somehow FME uses the wrong .dll (not the one I setted in the FME Options) and the wrong PYTHONHOME although it was setted the right way and I don't know why. Aditionally there is a message 'The user-specified library D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe could not be loaded' in the log file. The whole logifle:

START - ProcessID: 10532,
peak process memory usage: 30908 kB, current process memory usage: 30832 kB 

FME Configuration: Command
line arguments are `D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe'
`C:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Temp\3\wb-xlate-XXXXXXX'
`LOG_STANDARDOUT' `YES' `LogCountServerName'
`{XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX}' 

The User-specified library
D:\Programme\FME\fme.exe could not be loaded 

Using Python interpreter
from `D:\Programme\FME\fmepython27\python27.dll' with PYTHONHOME
`D:\Programme\FME\fmepython27' 

Python version 2.7 loaded
successfully 

You have to really verify that all your components are either 32- or 64-bits, you cannot mix them:

• FME
  • Python as specified by PYTHONHOME
  • Python.dll

Badge
You have to really verify that all your components are either 32- or 64-bits, you cannot mix them:

• FME
  • Python as specified by PYTHONHOME
  • Python.dll

That was the problem! Thank you so much!