Question

ECW Version 3 and FME

• 2 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge

I cant open a Version 3 ECW in FME Data Viewer. Error comes up and says I need new version of ECW SDK. I am using Desktop 2016 , and have downloaded the new SDK Version 5.1 from Intergraph. How do I leverage this in FME?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Sadly version 3 isn't supported by FME at this time. We already have an enhancement request filed with our developers. The reference number is PR#54009. I've added your details so you are contacted if and when it is implemented, and I'll see if I can increase the priority too.

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.
Userlevel 4

I recently saw a presentation from someone who had found a workaround, temporarily writing the data to GeoTIFF (I think) and then using either a shutdown script or a SystemCaller to invoke command-line tools / arcpy to convert the GeoTIFF to ECW3, before deleting the temporary GeoTIFF.

Maybe that could be an option for you as well?

I used to do something similar before FME was able to write NetCDF files, it works rather well.

David

Userlevel 4

I recently saw a presentation from someone who had found a workaround, temporarily writing the data to GeoTIFF (I think) and then using either a shutdown script or a SystemCaller to invoke command-line tools / arcpy to convert the GeoTIFF to ECW3, before deleting the temporary GeoTIFF.

Maybe that could be an option for you as well?

I used to do something similar before FME was able to write NetCDF files, it works rather well.

David

Actually, I'm wondering if it was the presentation from @jlutherthomas I was thinking about?

Badge +2

In reference to @david_r I've done work in FME writing to ECW v3 using the Hexagon GeoCompressor and running it using the SystemCaller. Once they've been written out I use the ER Viewer to check them before adding them into Apollo. They load in QGIS as well.

ER Viewer (free): http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Viewers/ERDAS-ER-Viewer.shtml
Badge +5

Sadly version 3 isn't supported by FME at this time. We already have an enhancement request filed with our developers. The reference number is PR#54009. I've added your details so you are contacted if and when it is implemented, and I'll see if I can increase the priority too.

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.

@Mark2AtSafe, has the support for ECW version 3 been added in FME 2018?

Thanks,

Felix