Question

Maintaining attribution when transforming GIS to CAD

• 16 September 2016
  • 13 replies

What is the best way to maintain attribution in the output DWG file when transforming GIS to CAD?

13 replies

Badge +16

Using the Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data writer and not the Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer

Using the Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data writer and not the Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer

Unfortunately I don't have that option.

Badge +16

Then I guess the only option is to set the writer to create extended data from the attributes supplied to it

I selected Attribute Output: Extended Entity Data, but it doesn't seem to work. When opening the DWG and selecting an object, no extended data is available.

Badge +16

I selected Attribute Output: Extended Entity Data, but it doesn't seem to work. When opening the DWG and selecting an object, no extended data is available.

Are there any attributes on the writer feature type?

Are there any attributes on the writer feature type?
Nothing is showing.

Badge +16
Nothing is showing.

I mean in your workspace...

I mean in your workspace...

No. When I expand Feature Types for the Writer under the Navigator, it's showing Dynamic, Parameters with Default Layer Color:10 and Default Layer Linetype: CONTINUOUS, followed by Attributes. Nothing is listed.

No. When I view the Writer under the Navigator, Feature Type>DYNAMIC>Attributes and nothing else. Under Parameters>Advanced>Attribute Output: Extended Entity Data and Output Defined Attributes Only:No

Badge +16

When using the dynamic mode the features defining the output schema are visible in the writer feature type (in the canvas itself and not via the navigator)

Some more information on dynamic translation can be found here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gitbook/Desktop-Advanced-2016/DesktopAdvanced4AdvancedRW/4.08.DynamicTranslations.html

What happens if you start with a new workspace by generating a workspace (cntrl+g) ? Do you actually need to create a dynamic translation?

Badge +16
Unfortunately I don't have that option.

All FME editions can make use of the AutoCAD Map writer...

https://www.safe.com/fme/format-search/#search=dwg

which edition are you using?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

A few thoughts that may help

1) As Itay says, if you don't need a dynamic translation, go with static. Dynamic should work but adds an extra layer of complication when we're trying to figure out a problem.

2) Definitely go with "Output Defined Attributes Only" = No.

3) Do you have a template file set? If so it might be overriding the layers in the source and so causing attributes to not be written.

4) How are you reading the data back to make sure it is correct? If I write some EED this way and read it back in the FME Data Inspector, I can see the attributes. Make sure you have the "Read Extended Entity Data" parameters turned on when you read it back.

5) Failing that, please send your workspace and dataset to safe.com/support - and they will be able to figure out what is happening and why.

Regards

Mark

A few thoughts that may help

1) As Itay says, if you don't need a dynamic translation, go with static. Dynamic should work but adds an extra layer of complication when we're trying to figure out a problem.

2) Definitely go with "Output Defined Attributes Only" = No.

3) Do you have a template file set? If so it might be overriding the layers in the source and so causing attributes to not be written.

4) How are you reading the data back to make sure it is correct? If I write some EED this way and read it back in the FME Data Inspector, I can see the attributes. Make sure you have the "Read Extended Entity Data" parameters turned on when you read it back.

5) Failing that, please send your workspace and dataset to safe.com/support - and they will be able to figure out what is happening and why.

Regards

Mark

The dynamic method seems to be the best way for me to handle multiple feature classes transforming into a single DWG. I'm very close, but this attribution issue is a real challenge. It appears to me that there might be a limitation here. I know DWG doesn't handle attribution well, so maybe that is part of it. I'm a complete novice at this so thanks for everyone's help.