Question

Dynamic Source file - zipped / not-zipped

Badge

Hi

I have a simple workbench that converts ASC > XYZ as below:

fme ASC_to_XYZ.fmw --SourceDataset NT26SW.asc  --DestDataset NT26SW.xyz

How can I make the workbench deal with a dynamic "SourceDataset" as sometimes I need to pass a gzipped version of the sourcefile. The example below with the ".asc.gz" sourcefile will not work.

fme ASC_to_XYZ.fmw --SourceDataset NT26SW.asc.gz  --DestDataset NT26SW.xyz

I am trying to resist re-writing code that pre extracts the "asc.gz" file before passing to FME.

Thanks,

Mike

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @mike_gale,

Could you share us your Workspace Template?

Thanks,

Badge

asc-to-xyz.fmw

Badge

@danilo_inovacao I have uploaded the workspace

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

@danilo_inovacao I have uploaded the workspace

Thanks. Could you send a example with .gz?
Badge

@danilo_inovacao - unfortunately I can't as this is licensed data

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
No problem. If you use the custom transformer GzipDecompressor . The link is Gzip
Userlevel 4
Badge +30

@danilo_inovacao - unfortunately I can't as this is licensed data

No problem. If you use the custom transformer GzipDecompressor . The link is Gzip
Userlevel 4
Badge +30

@mike_gale, i believe it'll work for you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

In the latest version of FME, I think it's possible to create a single workspace to read either *.asc or *.asc.gz using a FeatureReader.

Summary: Determine whether the source file path ends with ".asc.gz", decompress the source file if it was *.asc.gz, then read the dataset with a FeatureReader. The source file path (decompressed file path if it was *.asc.gz) can be set to the FeatureReader through a feature attribute at run time.

However, looks like you are using FME 2014 SP1. In FME 2014, you cannot specify source file path in the FeatureReader through a feature attribute at run time. I therefore think it's difficult to create a single workspace that can read both *.asc and *.asc.gz. If you will continue to use FME 2014, probably you will have to create two workspaces.
  • The 1st workspace reads *.asc dataset with a regular ASCII Grid reader.
  • The 2nd workspace runs the 1st workspace through a WorkspaceRunner. Here, if the source file was *.asc.gz, the 2nd workspace should decompress the file, then passes the resulting *.asc file path to the 2nd workspace. You have to write a Python script to decompress a *.asc.gz file.

If you can upgrade your FME version to FME 2015.0 - FME 2016.0, it would be possible to create a single workspace to do that, since the Dataset for the FeatureReader in the new versions can be specified with a feature attribute. However, you still have to write a Python script to decompress a *.asc.gz file.

In FME 2016.1 or later, you can use the GzipDecompressor transformer from Hub to decompress *.asc.gz file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

In the latest version of FME, I think it's possible to create a single workspace to read either *.asc or *.asc.gz using a FeatureReader.

Summary: Determine whether the source file path ends with ".asc.gz", decompress the source file if it was *.asc.gz, then read the dataset with a FeatureReader. The source file path (decompressed file path if it was *.asc.gz) can be set to the FeatureReader through a feature attribute at run time.

However, looks like you are using FME 2014 SP1. In FME 2014, you cannot specify source file path in the FeatureReader through a feature attribute at run time. I therefore think it's difficult to create a single workspace that can read both *.asc and *.asc.gz. If you will continue to use FME 2014, probably you will have to create two workspaces.
  • The 1st workspace reads *.asc dataset with a regular ASCII Grid reader.
  • The 2nd workspace runs the 1st workspace through a WorkspaceRunner. Here, if the source file was *.asc.gz, the 2nd workspace should decompress the file, then passes the resulting *.asc file path to the 2nd workspace. You have to write a Python script to decompress a *.asc.gz file.

If you can upgrade your FME version to FME 2015.0 - FME 2016.0, it would be possible to create a single workspace to do that, since the Dataset for the FeatureReader in the new versions can be specified with a feature attribute. However, you still have to write a Python script to decompress a *.asc.gz file.

In FME 2016.1 or later, you can use the GzipDecompressor transformer from Hub to decompress *.asc.gz file.

The attachment contains two workspaces that demonstrate the approach with a WorkspaceRunner. Created with FME 2014 build 14235.

fme2014-asc-to-xyz.zip