Question

Capture the results of a File Writer

• 7 February 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have a PNGRasterWriter towards the end of my workflow. My project produces about 200 - 5,000 PNG files. In FME desktop I want to send a message (HTTPFetcher would be fine) each time a new file is finished being written. The GET HTTP packet would have to items of info:

File Name

File Size.

The  part that I am having trouble with is getting this informaiton AFTER the write is done. How can one do that?

if this is really  messy then I guess I will have to go earlier in the pipe (I do have a attribute called FileName) and then send that out without the size info. Any suggestions?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I think it's difficult to handle each file closing event.

If it's after all the files creation (i.e. after completion of the workspace processing), there will be ways. For example:

1) Create 2nd workspace which reads every png file properties in the output directory with a "Directory and File Pathnames" reader (Retrieve file properties = YES), and sends appropriate messages.

2) Create 3rd workspace, put two WorkspaceRunner. 1st WorkspaceRunner (Wait for Job to Complete = Yes) runs the main workspace to create png files. And then, 2nd WorkspaceRunner runs the 2nd workspace to send messages.

3) Run the 3rd workspace with setting the output directory path as a common parameter for every workspace.

Alternatively, sending messages with Shutdown Python Script could be also a solution.

Takashi
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Yes using the file and directory reader would be my choice too.
Badge
Well, after the fact is useless for monitoring progress of 2K - 20K output files. So I looks like what I want it to send the messages before the file is created (and I will have to skip the file size info). Thanks.