Question

FME Desktop 2013 SP1 VPN problem

• 28 March 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31
Hey all,

I have a problem starting FME Desktop (2013 SP1) when connected to our network by VPN.

As workaround I checked out a license, this worked until I connected by VPN because I needed my mail / network directory...

Always worked like a charm until the 2013 versions.

Anyone a clue?

Thnx alot!

Niels

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31
Maybe I need to add that nothing really happens.

I see it started in the Taskmanager, consuming 1 core, but it wont startup.
Userlevel 4
Hi Niels,

these issues can be difficult to troubleshoot over a forum.

Have you looked at this fmepedia article?

You might want to include your IT department in troubleshooting your connection to the license server. They should be able to monitor all the traffic over to VPN to see if they have opened all the relevant ports.

David
Badge +10
I have exactly the same problem both when I am connected to the VPN and also when I use my Blackberry as a 3G data connecton. In both instances FME is not able to check out a floating license from my floating license server and fails to start as a result. As soon as I disconnect and restart the license server FME fires up immediately.

Prompted by your note I have tried to troubleshoot my issue with the approach I thought might solve it... for me though it doesn't fix the issue. It might for you? I thought I had a port conflict, I may still but not sure. Anyway, you can broadcast the license via an alternate port number if you wish to check if that is the issue.

1) Edit your floating license file and add the new port number to the top line like

SERVER hostname hostid port

e.g.

SERVER lsnb92 d4bed9014af3 12345

2) Restart your license server

3) Start the FME license assistant and connect to the license server but add the port number you have now defined after your server name, so for me it's "lsnb92:12345"

4) Make sure FME starts.

5) Close FME and open your VPN connection.

6) Start FME again and cross your fingers.

If anyone has any alternate solutions that might help me out, gratefully received... Hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread Niels!

Userlevel 6
Badge +31
David, I passed the url on to IT. Thanks.

The reply I got was a bit depressed as they had tried almost every possible solution, supported by someone from Safe. The alternative is installing the latest 2012 version as our work is not at the office every day...

Dave, any input is welcome. I cant test your solution as the license server is not directly accessible...