Question

Documentation missing

• 25 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

It would be good to have a glossary of terms from a database perspective. FME appears to be good at etl in a non spatial world (or at lest that's my priority at present).

There are hundreds of readers/transformers/writers and it appears you can use many to achieve a similar result.

Finding the best r/t/w is tricky then not knowing the FME terminology adds to the "interest".

Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @saj42saj

You can create a Idea about this documentation on this Page:

https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/list.html

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @saj42saj

We do actually have a terminology section in each of our documentation manuals, for example here's a link for the page in the Desktop admin manual.

I know this isn't database-specific, but it does cover much of the terminology that is used in FME. If there is anything that you feel is missing, please do let me know and I'll ask the documentation team to incorporate it.

In general; Database = Dataset, Table = Feature Type, and Record (Row) = Feature

We are trying to cover more non-spatial scenarios, and recently ran a webinar on how to find the correct transformer to use. Also, I hope that you might find the content of our training manual useful. The chapter on Practical Transformer Use includes information about how to find the right transformer for the right scenario, and covers three of the primary uses: handling attributes, filtering data, and creating joins.

Our blog also has articles on this subject occasionally; for example, this article on the FeatureJoiner and comparing it to the FeatureMerger.

I hope you find these resources useful,

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland, FME Evangelist, Safe Software Inc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

And for future reference, our documentation also contains a glossary of terms too: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/!FME_Terminology/terminology.htm