Solved

Docs on how to utilize "Shared FME Folders" for custom formats ?

• 12 April 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi,

"Shared FME Folders" is a great way to share setups between 32/64 bit instances, between versions, even between colleagues on a network drive if warranted.

It seems that there are much documentation on how to share database connections and coordinate systems using these "shared folders". And I even got the shared "Transformers" working.

But how do I add and share a Python based custom format using "shared folders" ? Apparently not by just copying the formats folder into "Formats" !

It seems that information about formats need to be stored all over the place, typically under "FME_HOME", which is of course not shared. I've seen format information stored in sub folders "formatsinfo" and "metafile", and the format functions themselves (py/pyc files) need to be in a 3rd place.

Are there any comprehensive documentation on how "shared folders" work ? And on whether it can fully accomodate custom formats without the need for storing files under "FME_HOME" ?

Cheers

Lars I.

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 24 April 2018, 11:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22
Any progress on this issue in the recent year ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You'll need to put the .fds file in the formats folder but also edit the formats.db and gallery.db files in your FME installaton directory. There's a formats.txt file in there that has documentation on that.

Before you do that I highly recommend you make a backup of those two files, just in case.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

You'll need to put the .fds file in the formats folder but also edit the formats.db and gallery.db files in your FME installaton directory. There's a formats.txt file in there that has documentation on that.

Before you do that I highly recommend you make a backup of those two files, just in case.

I know, but these files and folders are not included in the "Shared FME Folders", so unfortunately this is not an answer to my query.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I understand your point, but I’m afraid that’s how it works at the moment.