Question

Cross section to shape

• 3 September 2014
  • 0 replies

Hi!

I work with Maritime Spatial Planning and thus have a lot of mapping to be done. One of my biggest concerns is that very often in maps there are layers upon layers - areas of national interest - in the maps, making them hard to read. However, there isn't always a conflict between the interests because some are below the surface, some are on or below the seabed and some are above the surface. My problem is that I wish to make a traditional map and in that map include cross sections as an inset from lines I draw (and then run through FME). 

I have gotten as far as extruding (seabed bathymetry model)-draped lines with line on area overlay to polygons, but I cannot export the results to shape to use in ArcMap or QGIS. It has to be a popular format because these results will be shared. 

So: I have a lot of polygon and line interests which intersects my freshly drawn cross section-line (straight line, 2 vertex is good enough). Line on area (and line) overlay. Extrude the features and set the colors and symbols to match the original map.

Later concerns will be to extract different attributes differently  (surface -> down, surface-> up, seabed->up, seabed ->down and so on).

Or do I have the wrong approach?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!