Question

Add/edit multiple feature types/transformers/connections in a workbench workspace ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi,

Occasionally I need to convert multiple input sources to multiple outputs. I of course use the "generate" option for this to get started.

But if I later find, that the many individual connections each need a new (and identical) transformer inserted (e.g. AttributeCreator), how do I do that in an easy way (i.e. without having to add the transformer manually to each connection which is tedious even with copy'n'paste) ?

2016 inserts a single transformer on one of multiple selected connection, whereas 2017 collects all selected connections as joint inputs to a single transformer. So someone has been looking into this.

Another similar situation:

I again have a lot of auto-generated SQL Server output feature types, and want to change the table handling in each from the default "Create If necessary" to "Drop and Create", and also want to change the attribute handling to "Automatic" on each.

How do I do that without having to do it manually many times over (or hacking into the FMW file with a text editor, which is my current work-around) ?

Any good tips ?

Cheers

Lars I.

3 replies

Badge +16

Hi @lifalin2016

Yes, create a parameter in one writer feature type and in the navigator window right click on the parameter and select apply to...now just filter out the ones you need (they will all have the same name) and select and apply, voila you have just applied the parameter to several locations in one go.

See the last section under Modifying User Parameters:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/parameters-create-modify.htm?Highlight=parameter

About your first question see if you can use an AttributeManager with a conditional value in combination with a dynamic translation.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @lifalin2016, about applying the same parameter(s) configuration to multiple writer feature types, you can also use the "Apply to" functionality on write feature types.

Once you have configured the writer feature type parameters, click [Apply to] button in the writer feature type to open the Change Multiple Feature Types dialog,

• Feature Types to Change: Select feature types to which the same parameter(s) configuration should be applied.
  • Parameters to change: Select parameter(s) to be applied.

Then, close the dialog and the writer feature type with [OK].

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @lifalin2016

Yes, create a parameter in one writer feature type and in the navigator window right click on the parameter and select apply to...now just filter out the ones you need (they will all have the same name) and select and apply, voila you have just applied the parameter to several locations in one go.

See the last section under Modifying User Parameters:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/parameters-create-modify.htm?Highlight=parameter

About your first question see if you can use an AttributeManager with a conditional value in combination with a dynamic translation.

Hope this helps.

Hi itay.

Alas, combining the many connections thru a single transformer is not an option, since this would also sum all attributes from all input sources.

Each connection needs its very own instance of the transformer in question.