Question

Excel Writer not starting at row 1

Badge

Hey everyone,

I'm writing a validation report to an excel writer and has multiple tabs for different layers. I have gone into the Excel writer parameters and changed "Start Column:" and "Start Row:" to 1 and 1. However, when I inspect the Excel sheet, I've noticed that the validation errors are starting further down the excel page, around row 2000. I do not have any blank attributes. Am I missing a step to have all my rows start at cell 1 instead of starting at a different cell.

Thank you for any guidance!

David

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @david_prosack88

Its possible to share us a print or Workspace Template?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +2

Hi,

Even If you dont provide values in "Start Column" and "Start Row" then excel writyer will start from cell A1.

Kindly check your workbench whether

1. Data you are passing have any attribute as "xlsx_row_id"

2. Writer mode is defined with "Insert" option

3. Any template have been defined

Pratap

Badge

Hi,

Even If you dont provide values in "Start Column" and "Start Row" then excel writyer will start from cell A1.

Pratap

Hi Pratap,

I do not see the attribute xlsx_row_id. Do I have to create that attribute and set it as 1? I am using attributes that I created for my validation excel report.

David

Badge +2
Hi Pratap,

I do not see the attribute xlsx_row_id. Do I have to create that attribute and set it as 1? I am using attributes that I created for my validation excel report.

David

Hi,

1. Then fine. No need to create "xlsx_row_id"

2. Writer mode is should be defined with "Insert" option

3. Template should not be defined

If all these 3 points are fine then it should start from A1 cell. If still it is starting from A2000 cell then you have to share the writer properties and settings to analyze further for the reason...

Pratap

Badge

Hi,

Pratap

attached are the writer property screenshots. fme-1.pngfme-2.png

Badge +2
attached are the writer property screenshots. fme-1.pngfme-2.png

Everything seems to be fine.

Try by removing the value 1 in start column and start row and check it.

Badge
Everything seems to be fine.

Try by removing the value 1 in start column and start row and check it.

Thanks for checking! But it's the same. When adding the Excel Writer should the sheet definition be set to a specific criteria fme-3.png? I've been using the copy from reader. Is that fine?Also, I'm using junctions to combine multiple transformer lines, would that be causing a problem?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @david_prosack88, send the features to the Inspector transformer instead of the Excel writer, and check the result on the Table View in FME Data Inspector.

If the records starts from the 2000th line in the Table View as same as the result of the Excel writer, possibly your workflow could have a defect that about 2000 empty records would be output. In the case, review the entire workspace.

If the records starts from the first row in the Table View unlike the reulst of the Excel writer, it's hard to clarify the reason. In the case, I'd recommend you to ask Safe support to investigate what happened.

Badge

I did find the problem. I was directing all of the validation errors to one junction with the same attribute value. As a result they were stacking on top of each other under the same column in FME. When I called them to specific columns in Excel they took the same spot they were in when they passed through the Junction. Which was why some were starting at row 2000. In the end it was a user error. Thanks to all!

Badge

Hi,

Pratap

I am actually having the same problem myself. I see this line in my log:

Excel Reader: Sheet 'Sheet 1' range: Start Row '2', Start Column 'F', End Row '102', End Column 'Y'

But when I look at all my parameters, nothing says to start at column "F"