Question

PowerPoint Styler

Badge +1

Hello. I'm loving the powerpoint writer, nice work safers! I can see alot of potential uses for this, particuarly with making graphics, schematics, charts, etc. It seems like it can only write polygons, not lines - is this correct? Owen

11 replies

Badge +3
Hi @owen

could you be a bit more specific with your question? The PowerPointStyler is used to layout your Slide. The PowerPoint writer writes a number of slides.

Do you mean you can only add polygons to a slide and not lines?

And maybe you can also have a look at this question: powerpoint-writer-and-transformers-documentation it contains links to the relevant documentation of the PowerPoint Writer.

Badge +1
Hi @owen

could you be a bit more specific with your question? The PowerPointStyler is used to layout your Slide. The PowerPoint writer writes a number of slides.

Do you mean you can only add polygons to a slide and not lines?

And maybe you can also have a look at this question: powerpoint-writer-and-transformers-documentation it contains links to the relevant documentation of the PowerPoint Writer.

Yes, it appears to not accept lines and closes them into polygons like this (supposed to be a road network)

Badge +3
Yes, it appears to not accept lines and closes them into polygons like this (supposed to be a road network)

That looks like an interesting piece of art. I haven't used the writer and the styler yet, so I could not say what causes this. But normally I would expect that lines would be expected.

Have you checked the input before it goes into the PowerPointStyler?

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @owen

According to the Powerpoint documentation, lines (as well as aggregates, null geometry, points, polygons, and rasters) are supported geometries. I was able to write line geometries out using some training data using build 18284.

That being said, it appears the writer is creating polygons from some line geometry. I'm uncertain why some lines are written out as polygons (possibly self-intersection). I was able to successfully force the writer to create only line shapes by using the Chopper.

Another option is to set the Fill parameter to 'No Fill' in order to visually represent lines.

Hope this helps,

Debbi

Badge +1

Thanks Debbi. I'm still having trouble with this - what am I doing wrong? I also have build 18284, and the data is clean (no self intersections). I looks like the lines are being closed into polygons.

Workspace

Data in inspector

Output

Output when lines are chopped to 2 vertices

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Thanks Debbi. I'm still having trouble with this - what am I doing wrong? I also have build 18284, and the data is clean (no self intersections). I looks like the lines are being closed into polygons.

Workspace

Data in inspector

Output

Hi @owen

If you select one of your line features in Data Inspector, what is the fme_geometry? Looking at the way your lines are chopped, I suspect your 'lines' may be an arc or curve instead (the start and end vertices extend beyond what is visually represented when chopped).

If you could provide a small sample of your dataset, that would be helpful as well.

Badge +1

Workspace

Data in inspector

Output

No, they are all fme_line types. Pls see attached sample roads.zip

Userlevel 3
Badge +17
No, they are all fme_line types. Pls see attached sample roads.zip

Hi @owen

Thanks for sending the dataset and my apologies for the trouble you are having with the PPT writer. It appears at this point the writer is closing lines with more than two vertices to form polygons. This is very likely a bug. Would you mind creating a support case at safe.com/support? That way I will be able to attach it to the bug report.

For a workaround, continue using the Chopper but try switching the Join type (in Powerpoint) from 'Miter' to 'Round' or 'Bevel' for your lines. Once you do, the lines should look more like you would expect. The screenshot below uses the round join type.

Thanks,

Debbi

Userlevel 3
Badge +17
Hi @owen

Thanks for sending the dataset and my apologies for the trouble you are having with the PPT writer. It appears at this point the writer is closing lines with more than two vertices to form polygons. This is very likely a bug. Would you mind creating a support case at safe.com/support? That way I will be able to attach it to the bug report.

For a workaround, continue using the Chopper but try switching the Join type (in Powerpoint) from 'Miter' to 'Round' or 'Bevel' for your lines. Once you do, the lines should look more like you would expect. The screenshot below uses the round join type.

Thanks,

Debbi

Hi @owen

I'm pleased to let you know that this issue has been fixed in our latest FME 2018 (builds 18295 and up). You can find the installer at safe.com/downloads.

Thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve this issue.

Hi @owen

I'm pleased to let you know that this issue has been fixed in our latest FME 2018 (builds 18295 and up). You can find the installer at safe.com/downloads.

Thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve this issue.

Hi @DebbiAtSafe,

I am using builds 18450 and I think I'm having similar issue too - I can't put points data into powerpoint. I tested with polygons and that worked fine. (both source files are esri shapefile)

Userlevel 2
Badge +14
Hi @DebbiAtSafe,

I am using builds 18450 and I think I'm having similar issue too - I can't put points data into powerpoint. I tested with polygons and that worked fine. (both source files are esri shapefile)

Hi @jchang, it's a known issue we are working to fix, that the points are just too small to be shown. To solve this you can add a 2DEllipseReplacer beforehand.

We are also working on a how to use the powerpoint writer/styler tutorial and should be posted within the next week or so.

Hope that helps

-Liz