Question

Extrude 3D face untill a certain z-value is reached

• 22 June 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have 3D faces that I want to extrude downwards untill they reach a certain z value. This z value is different for each face and included as an attribute. The problem is: the extruder only let's me extrude downwards over a certain distance or vector, creating a solid with the same structure at the bottom as on top. However, What I need is a flat structure at the bottem, at the level of the z value. Is there a way around?

PS: I already managed to do this by creating also an exctrusion downwards for this z-value, and than clip both extrusions. Unfortunately, this method is unacceptably slow for me.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bakkermans, so far I cannot find any way other than clipping, but there might be a room to improve performance of the clipping method. For example, simplify shape of the clipper solid. Is this slow unacceptably?

Badge +5

Yes, I had a similar issue recently (trying to calculate cut/fill volumes) and came to the same conclusion as you and @takashi - a clip is the only way to go. Didn't seem too slow for me either, it was only the subsequent volume calculation that took longer.

My workspace looked like this:

Never could get a volume I was really happy with though.