Question

copy attributes from multiple transformers in the output

• 5 March 2014
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

hi,

I have made a workbench which is having 80 AttributeCreator, 17 AttributeRenamer, etc and for checking the output in ArcGIS 10.0, I need to Copy Attributes from the transformer for each of the transformers. So, if I have 80 AttributeCreator, I have to copy the attributes 80 times. 

Is there any any short method for doing it. (:

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

sounds like your process could be a very good candidate for the SchemaMapper. The learning curve can be a little steep, but it can be a major time-saver in cases like this.

There is a lot of good information with example usage on the SchemaMapper, here on FMEpedia.

David
Badge +1
Hey David,

Thanks for the reply. I do think that SchemaMappper can do this work, but I couldn't find a correct way to do it. So, alternately I used Add Attributes and just types typed the names of the attributes. But, this task was also much mechanical. So, basically I am still stuck on that page. ):
Userlevel 4
Hi,

if you could explain a bit more detailed about what you have and what you're trying to accomplish, perhaps we could recommend you an alternative solution.

David
Badge +1
I I have made a workbench with large number of transformers. Now, when I see them in data inspector using the 'Insert Inspector', I get all attributes. But, when I save the data in a writer and check it using ArcGIS, I do not get any attributes.For this, I have to use 'Copy Attributes from Transformer'. Since, I have a used a lot of transformers, it takes much time to copy attributes from transformer (everytime right click on the write and click on 'copy attributes from transformers') So, I was searching or its alternate which is less mechanical.
Userlevel 4
Ah, I see. Agree that this can be a bit painful.

If you have many output feature dataset that are mostly identical, consider defining one of them and then using the "Apply to..." button to copy the settings into the others.

If the output feature classes already exist in your database, you could also import the definitions from the database rather than specifying them by hand.

Hope this helps...

David
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

If there are multiple writer feature types (same format) which should have same schema (structure of attributes), possibly you could integrate them into one writer feature type using the fanout option.

Or, the Dynamic Schema (using external schema definition tables) might help you to reduce your labor. To create tables takes certain effort initially, but maintenance will be easier.

See Example 3 in this article.

http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/Dynamic-Schema-Examples-FME2011

Takashi
Badge +1
Hi,

May be we can do this thing. Use "Copy Attributes from transformer" and simply copy the attributes from LAST used transformer only.