Solved

ESRI Reprojector Fails in FME Server

• 9 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

I have a workbench that has two ESRI Reprojectors that work fine when run in FME Desktop.

The first ESRI Reprojector projects from NAD_1983_CSRS_Teranet_Ontario_Lambert to NAD_1983_Teranet_Ontario_Lambert and uses a custom transformation that I created using documentation from our parcel supplier (Teranet). The second ESRI Reprojector reprojects from NAD_1983_Teranet_Ontario_Lambert to NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_17 and does not require a datum transformation.

I have copied the transformation file I created on my desktop pc to the server and put it in the same location:

C:\\Users\\Administrator\\AppData\\Roaming\\ESRI\\Desktop10.4\\ArcToolbox\\CustomTransformations

As well, I copied the grid shift file to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\Desktop10.4\\pedata\\ntv2\\canada as per the instructions provided by our parcel supplier (Teranet).

When I upload the workbench to FME Server and attempt to run the job in FME Server it stops almost immediately with the following error EsriReprojector: Reproject: Could not reproject the geometry of the preceding feature: Reprojector; Invalid reprojection parameters.

Installed ArcMap 10.4.1 and FME Server 2017.1.1 - Build 17650 - win64

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 9 January 2018, 19:35

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4

Based on the path names, it seems you're using a 32-bit version of ArcGIS. If you're using a 64-bit version of FME Server, you'll have to install and configure the 64-bit version of ArcGIS (64-bit Geoprocessing, Pro or Server) as well.

See here for more details: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1517/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility.html

Badge +1

I already have 64-bit background geoprocessing installed.

Badge +3

I thinking, but I'm not sure, that it also nerds to access the reprojection engine of Esri from the server. Therefor it is also necessary to have ArcGIS installed in the server.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @chris_rmw,

If ArcGIS Server is installed then the path to the Custom Transformation should be as follows:

C:\Users\<FMEServerEngineUser>\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Server10.x\ArcToolbox\CustomTransformations

**UPDATE** 

It seems like the problem in this particular case is related to the User Account which is running the FME Server Engines. Because ArcGIS is trying to look for a User specific location (%AppData%) then we need to make sure the user running FME Server Engines matches the AppData location. If you don't want to change the User for your FME engines (see here on method) then try creating the file in this location: 

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Server10.x\ArcToolbox\CustomTransformations

The above location should work if the FME Server Engines are running as Local System which is the default when FME Server is installed

** End Update**

I suggest that you try a few debugging steps to see if you can narrow down the cause. To me there could be a few things which may be causing you problems, either licensing, or the grid shift file. 

Firstly I would try and rule out ESRI licensing. If you can create a simple workspace which uses a simple ESRI reprojection, or simply try and write something to an ESRI File Geodatabase this should either rule out the licensing OR confirm it as the culprit. 

If you can check out an ESRI license and then it might related to the grid file in some way.

Also I feel compelled to point you towards this Q/A with regards to ESRI Licensing and FME Server. https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/57704/is-fme-server-compatible-with-arcgis-desktop-and-a.html

**EDIT** removed any references to Custom Transformer as I misread the original question

Badge +1

Hi @chris_rmw,

If ArcGIS Server is installed then the path to the Custom Transformation should be as follows:

C:\Users\<FMEServerEngineUser>\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Server10.x\ArcToolbox\CustomTransformations

**UPDATE** 

It seems like the problem in this particular case is related to the User Account which is running the FME Server Engines. Because ArcGIS is trying to look for a User specific location (%AppData%) then we need to make sure the user running FME Server Engines matches the AppData location. If you don't want to change the User for your FME engines (see here on method) then try creating the file in this location: 

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Server10.x\ArcToolbox\CustomTransformations

The above location should work if the FME Server Engines are running as Local System which is the default when FME Server is installed

** End Update**

I suggest that you try a few debugging steps to see if you can narrow down the cause. To me there could be a few things which may be causing you problems, either licensing, or the grid shift file. 

Firstly I would try and rule out ESRI licensing. If you can create a simple workspace which uses a simple ESRI reprojection, or simply try and write something to an ESRI File Geodatabase this should either rule out the licensing OR confirm it as the culprit. 

If you can check out an ESRI license and then it might related to the grid file in some way.

Also I feel compelled to point you towards this Q/A with regards to ESRI Licensing and FME Server. https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/57704/is-fme-server-compatible-with-arcgis-desktop-and-a.html

**EDIT** removed any references to Custom Transformer as I misread the original question

We have both ArcGIS Desktop and Server installed (all version 10.4.1).

I have other change detection jobs uploaded on FME Server which read data in our Production SDE database, use the UpdateDetector transformer to find changes and write directly into any of our other SDE Databases.  So I don't think there is a ESRI licensing issue.

Badge +1

Hi @chris_rmw,

**UPDATE** 

** End Update**

Hi Matt,

I can supply some sample data and the custom transformation.

What is the best way I get it to you?

My email is crumig@regionofwaterloo.ca

Badge

I agree with david.

You uninstall ArcGis Desktop (32-bit) and install ArcGis Server (64-bits).

ArcGIS Desktop is not for use in “server environments”

In order to get the Esri Reprojector working in FME Server 2019 with my custom transformation (NAD83 Original to NAD83 CSRS) I had to add my Ontario grid file to the following location: C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Server\\fme\\Reproject\\EsriPEGridData\\ntv2\\canada. FME didn't care that the file was already added to the the ArcGIS grid file directory on the server.

Badge

Hello, please solve your problem, where can I use the file of a custom transformation of ESRI Reprojector?