Question

Scheduled task and topics notification

Badge

I have a number of workbench that do some things. Each workbench made specific work and each workbench is independent. When I published my workspaces I set notifications on my topic in the jobsubmitter service.

If I run each workspaces alone on the server, notifications are fired and all is ok.

Now, I have created a workspace that call my workspaces with FMEServerJobSubmitter. It's like an "Automation" but made with a workbench (we use fme version 2018). I published my workbench that run my workspaces and I've scheduled it to run in the night. I expect that each single workspace fire my notifications when is executed but this didn't happen.

I read in documentation that I have to register notifications for the scheduled task. I've set the notifications in the scheduled task but only the notification of the scheduled task is fired. Other notifications of the single workspaces executed by the main workspace aren't fired.

How can I fire each signle notifications in the scheduled job? Thank you for suggestions.

5 replies

Badge +16

Hi @giosp,

If you are using multiple FMEServerJobSubmitters in your "parent" workspace you could try and add a FMEServerNotifier after each FMEServerJobSubmitter (submitted port) to notify the topic to which the notifications are set to.

Hope this helps.

Itay

Badge

Hi @itay, thank you for your suggestion. I never thought about it. I will check immediatly.

Badge

Hi @itay , I tried your suggestion. The notification is fired but I don't have the message topic from the fmeserverjobsubmitter to attach to the fmeservernotification and I don't have information about the execution of the previous job... I think I have to use the rest api for getting information of the job. Do you have other suggestion about adding information? Thank you.

Regards

Giosia

Badge +16

Hi @itay , I tried your suggestion. The notification is fired but I don't have the message topic from the fmeserverjobsubmitter to attach to the fmeservernotification and I don't have information about the execution of the previous job... I think I have to use the rest api for getting information of the job. Do you have other suggestion about adding information? Thank you.

Regards

Giosia

Hi @giosp, The API can provide you with more information on the job, you can use the job id to query the API endpoint and create the topic content to pass to the notification.

But that all depends on the information you need from the job...

Another option would be to use the FME Server Notification service to run the jobs, this can get messy since you need multiple topics and the flow of thing is not so apperant as in a parent child approach.

This is dealt with in FME 2019 by intoducing Automations, which make it much more easy to have an overview of your process in FME Server.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Itay

Badge

Hi @giosp, The API can provide you with more information on the job, you can use the job id to query the API endpoint and create the topic content to pass to the notification.

But that all depends on the information you need from the job...

Another option would be to use the FME Server Notification service to run the jobs, this can get messy since you need multiple topics and the flow of thing is not so apperant as in a parent child approach.

This is dealt with in FME 2019 by intoducing Automations, which make it much more easy to have an overview of your process in FME Server.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Itay

Hi @itay, thank you for your additional information. I'd like use notification when the job is endend to execute another workspace with slack notifications...

I wait to upgrade fmeserver to 2019 and use automations.

thank you