Question

Issues with writing to versioned ArcSDE geodatabase

• 4 February 2014
  • 1 reply

Having a couple of problems writing to a versioned ArcSDE Geodatabase:

1. When trying to import an existing feature type from the Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodatabase) writer I can connect to the geodatabase successfully and browse to the existing version to select the table I want to write to, but when I attempt to add the feature I get an ArcObjects error that the version is not found.

I can import features successfully from sde.Default but none of the versions.

This occurs when using a direction connection with OS Authentication, but I can import features when using an sde connection file that specifies the version, but it’s not ideal and I’d like to determine why I’m having issues.

2. When using the ArcSDE Geodatabase reader with the option to create a child version and then do a reconcile and post + delete the child state options on the ArcSDE Geodatabase writer, the edits and the reconcile and post are successful but I get an error when the translation attempts to delete the child version I get an ArcObjects error that the version is currently in use.

Using FME 2013 SP4, ArcGIS 10.2, ArcSDE 10.0, SQL Server 2008 R2

Hopefully someone has a suggestion.  Thanks.

1 reply

Hi @conzai, I realize that this happened years ago, but I'll answer here in case others run into this thread. My answer is for question 1, by the way.

In my experience I've noticed that this ArcObjects error usually shows up when table names/qualifiers are incorrect. Please note that it could also be a number of other SQL problems. I'd recommend making sure that:

1- Your SQL username has the correct user schema (DBO, SDE, etc.)

2- Both the table name and the qualifier are filled correctly. Please note that the highlighted portion in the screenshot below is your user schema in SQL.

2- Your SQL username has the correct permissions on the database that you are trying to write into. Believe it or not, this could very well be it.

I would also double check the transaction type to make sure this isn't causing a problem. Do note that if your data is registered as versioned, you will only be able to use the option in the example below.