Question

How to connect to SQL Server while setting trustServerCertificate=true

• 7 February 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I'm trying to create a connection to my Microsoft SQL Server database while setting the connection parameter trustServerCertificate=true. 

But I see this in my log file:

Creating connection using connection string 'jdbc:sqlserver://********' and properties '{integratedSecurity=false, trustServerCertificate=false, user=***, password=************, applicationName=Safe Software FME, database=******, encrypt=true}

Is there a way to set this to true?

1 reply

Badge

Currently both the trustServerCertificate and encrypt values in the connection string are controlled by the Encrypt Connection option in the SQL Server connection definition.

If you uncheck Encrypt Connection, trustServerCertificate will be set to true and encrypt to false.

There is a security argument to be made that encryption without identity verification leads users to believe they are much more secure than they really are, which is why the two settings are tied together. If there is sufficient demand for these settings to be disentangled it will be considered.

A workaround would be to use the vanilla JDBC format, where you can specify your own connection string. Then you could create the desired combination of settings.