Question

Is there a work flow for reading only 1 feature data set in an esri geodatabse reader?

• 1 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Is there a work flow for reading only 1 feature data set in an esri geodatabse reader?

I am trying to read only 1 feature dataset, not the entire esri geodatabse so that i can clip the polygons in this particular feature dataset

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @kstckillian,

On the Navigator window ADvanced Parameter from your Reader Geodatabase, you can set the number Max features to Reader.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

When you're adding a reader it will ask you which feature types to use and afterwards you can select them (or have your user select them if you make a parameter out of it) which ones to read via the Feature Types To Read parameter.

When you're adding a reader it will ask you which feature types to use and afterwards you can select them (or have your user select them if you make a parameter out of it) which ones to read via the Feature Types To Read parameter.

I tried this, but when I navigate to that Parameter option, all of the feature classes are there and I have to un-check the feature classes that I do not want. I do not have the option to select 1 feature data set

In the above image, "Anadarko" and "anadarko acreage" are in the "Acreage" feature data set that I want to read, i do not want to read "Airports or anadarko ROTFs" which are in a different data set

Any advice?

Userlevel 4

As far as I know, you can only select feature classes to read in FME, not feature datasets.

A possible workaround would be to use the "Schema (any format)" reader to retrieve information about the geodatabase feature classes and datasets, filter with a Tester and then use a FeatureReader to read only the feature classes in your selected feature dataset.

Badge +16

Hi @kstckillian,

@david_r is pointing to the correct way to sort out the features you want to read.

A bug might possibly be still existing for some old version (https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/54894/feature-dataset-use-schema-reader-expose-name.html ) and in addition you can use the FeatureReader to read only the schema, test for the features you need and use a second FeatureReader to read the into your workspace.

Hope this helps,

Itay