Question

FME Server 2016/2017 notifications: protocol "push" vs "workspace"

• 15 March 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a whole solution that is working well in FME Svr/Desktop 2017.0. I want to replicate it in 2016 (FME Svr 2016.1.3.1 / Desktop 2016.1.2.1) . I have a main workspace with Job Submitter and Notification services enable (I manage the notifications on job completion only in the Notfication service)

The problem is when I'm publishing my main workspace on FME Svr 2016, the protocol in Notifications/Subscriptions is set to "push". It should be set to "workspace" to take over correctly the e-mails feedback (I previously set a IMAP Publisher with a generic address to trigger replies on the data process). When I initiate the process (send email with data to load) in 2016, I receive nothing while the expect results (in 2017) are to get a reply whatever if the data loading was a success or a failure

so this is why I suspect there is something wrong in the settings. Any ideas? or do you know if there was some kind of improvements from FME Svr 2016 to 2017 which prevent me to downgrade this solution to 2016???

Thanks in advance,

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi @philll

Did you recreate this solution from scratch on FME Server 2016? You should be able to create/edit the subscription that you need to be a workspace instead of push, as it was a supported protocol in 2016 (see here).

Also ensure that you're publishing the workspace from FME Workbench 2016 (same major version as your Server).

I wouldn't recommend moving a solution backwards, so if it's working on FME 2017, I would leave it there instead of moving it 2016. I'd be curious to understand why you were looking at moving it back a release.

Hi jlutherthomas,

thank you very much for your answer

Yes, I recreated this solution from scratch which is not a task very long to do. I published the workspaces from FME Wkb 2016.

I'm aware that I can edit the subscription after publishing the workspace but since the form between 2016 and 2017 has changed a lot, I'm not able to re set it correctly. Example: you can't set a topic on SUCESS AND on FAILURE.

I don't unserstand why FME Svr 2016 doesn't not load it in the "workspace" protocol directly.

No worries, I have good reasons to moving it back. Our client is dealing with new delay in the prod environnement so FME Svr 2017 is not being installed at the moment but will be in the future. FME Svr 2016 is up running finally at the moment which was not the plan at the beginning (developement phase)