Question

?Is there anyway in FME to create spatial features from data in Microsoft CRM Online?

Badge

Is there anyway in FME to create spatial features from data in Microsoft CRM Online?

We have various CRM entities, which we'd like to put on the map. Some have addresses, some have UK OS NGR, some even have lat/long values.

I've checked the list of FME formats but can't find anything relating to Microsoft CRM

Somebody suggested going directly to the SQL Server tables, but this isn't possible as we're using CRM Online, so database connection

5 replies

Userlevel 4

I do not know MS CRM, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a webservice somewhere to fetch data. FME is pretty good at working with webservices (look at the HTTPCaller) as long as you stay away from the more esoteric varieties of SOAP (still doable but a major hassle compared to REST interfaces).

When you get the data into FME, you could split it (Tester) into separate streams depending on the type of data available, e.g. one for entries with coordinates and one for addresses, etc.

Coordinate entries are relatively easy, use e.g. a VertexCreator and maybe a CoordinateSystemSetter.

For addresses you'll have to use an external geocoding service and there are several to choose from. I've had pretty good results with the free access from Google, look at the GoogleGeocoder transformer in the FME Store. Depending on your volume you could also consider paid services from ESRI etc.

Badge

I do not know MS CRM, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a webservice somewhere to fetch data. FME is pretty good at working with webservices (look at the HTTPCaller) as long as you stay away from the more esoteric varieties of SOAP (still doable but a major hassle compared to REST interfaces).

When you get the data into FME, you could split it (Tester) into separate streams depending on the type of data available, e.g. one for entries with coordinates and one for addresses, etc.

Coordinate entries are relatively easy, use e.g. a VertexCreator and maybe a CoordinateSystemSetter.

For addresses you'll have to use an external geocoding service and there are several to choose from. I've had pretty good results with the free access from Google, look at the GoogleGeocoder transformer in the FME Store. Depending on your volume you could also consider paid services from ESRI etc.

Thanks David

Latest version of CRM Online has a new REST interface, so looks like the HttpCaller would be an option.

Don't suppose you know of any actual working examples/code I could look at?

Userlevel 4

Thanks David

Latest version of CRM Online has a new REST interface, so looks like the HttpCaller would be an option.

Don't suppose you know of any actual working examples/code I could look at?

It's your lucky day :-) Here's a small workspace I made for the local FME World Tour last year, it uses the REST services from random.org to "roll dice" to determine the results from ficticious football matches. It shows how to use the HTTPCaller to request (non-spatial) data and to integrate it into the FME workflow.

Requires FME 2015.1.3 or later.

rest-interface-example.fmw

Badge

It's your lucky day :-) Here's a small workspace I made for the local FME World Tour last year, it uses the REST services from random.org to "roll dice" to determine the results from ficticious football matches. It shows how to use the HTTPCaller to request (non-spatial) data and to integrate it into the FME workflow.

Requires FME 2015.1.3 or later.

rest-interface-example.fmw

Ta

Have you done any where OAuth is needed?

Userlevel 4

Ta

Have you done any where OAuth is needed?

Sorry, no...