Solved

ESRIASCIIGRID writer: Failed to get tile of size 1 rows by 54000 columns at row 18000, column 0

• 24 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +10

I have 1,392 .asc files that I want to mosaic into a single .asc file.

The input files are tiles of a 1m DEM.

I am using a ESRI ASCII Grid reader to open the 1,392 files together, then a RasterMosaicker to merge them together, and a ESRI ASCII Grid writer to output the result.

I get this error

Esri ASCII Grid Plugin: Fail to open the Esri Ascii Grid reader on file `\\\\podcisilon\\Groups\\Geospatial_GIS\\ALS\\2014\\LGA_Brisbane\\Products\\DEM_1m\\SW_507000_6964000_1k_1m_DEM_ESRI.asc'

ESRIASCIIGRID writer: Failed to get tile of size 1 rows by 54000 columns at row 18000, column 0

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

icon

Best answer by xiaomengatsafe 24 October 2018, 21:32

View original

5 replies

Badge +10

I suspect the error is with the RasterMosaicker.

When I have just the ESRI ASCII grid reader and an Inspector, the data is read and displayed fine.

The error only appears when I put in the RasterMosaicker (and inspect the result of the RasterMosaicker)

Userlevel 4

Out of curiosity, what's the sum of the 1392 .asc filesizes?

Badge +2
@nicholas, I think david_r's question might be very relevant. It appears that Esri Raster grid has a size limit of 2.147 GB. So if the mosaicked raster is larger than that, it could explain why the writer only errors out with RasterMosaicker. Could you try running the same workflow with a subset of the source raster (say 10-20 of them) to see if that causes the error too?
Badge +10

Out of curiosity, what's the sum of the 1392 .asc filesizes?

Over 9 GB

When I process a subset, there are no errors.

I think this is exactly the problem.

Though it would be nice if the error message was more clear.

Thank you both!

Badge +2
Over 9 GB

When I process a subset, there are no errors.

I think this is exactly the problem.

Though it would be nice if the error message was more clear.

Thank you both!

Hi @nicholas. That's great feedback about the error message. I'll be sure to track it with our developers. Thank you!