Question

Shared FME folders regarding custom transformer

Badge

Good day,

I created a custom transformer (*.fmx file) that is used across different workbenches and users.

To use the custom transformer I specify the location on FME Options - Default Paths - Shared FME folders.

This custom transformer is saved in two different locations with teh same name depending on what database and some other variables we are using.

Where can I specify the one I want to use in a script?

Is there any parameter in a workbench I can set to point to the correct shared fme folder for this specific workbench?

The shared fme folder I want to use is depending on the script I am running.

Thank you.

3 replies

Badge +22

Having multiple custom transformers with the same name is generally a recipe for conflicts. Could you add a prefix or suffix to the transformer name?

Badge

We have an automated deployment process in place that we only need to do the changes in one custom transformer and the change will be deployed to the customers transformers importing to dif dbs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think the usual technique is to have one transformer with published parameters. Then the user picks the database, etc to use when they put the transformer in the workspace, using those parameters.

The only other way I see is to have two versions of the transformer (by which I mean set up versioning of the transformer when you edit it). Then you *might* be able to keep version 1 for db1 and version 2 for db2 - but I'm not sure how feasible it is switching versions in a workspace. I don't really think versioning is meant for that scenario. Published parameters would be much better.